• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL chief pilot craziness

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A friend on the 757 said months ago the "low fuel" claims into Newark have some basis in truth, but it is an effect of sending a jet designed for intercontinental use from the Western side of Europe across the Atlantic against winter headwinds. Pilots are making the right judgement to call "low fuel" to convey the message that an further delay could result in a fuel critical situation.

As one who flies these routes on a weekly basis, not once has any pressure been applied to not add fuel. There are some guys who simply waste fuel by adding fuel because it feels good, thats who this message was addressing. The company has put a lot of effort into improving the accuracy of our fuel burn projections and we need to take that into account.

Not once have I diverted and not once have I been uncomfortable with my landing fuel. Adding a little fuel, flying an economic profile, adjusting mach and flight level can have a significant impact on your fuel over destination. Thats not to say if we really got hammered by the winds I wouldn't hesitate to stop. Although there is a lot of anecdotal talk about diverting, my guess that on a percentage basis it is a pretty small number.

If an individual feels even slightly pressured not to add fuel because of some memo; they have no business flying an airplane for a living.

If an individual feels even slightly pressured not to add fuel because of some memo; they have no business flying an airplane for a living.

and this is the most sound logic applied to the scenario. a memo is a piece of paper. it is not regulatory.

fly your plane safely and use the POWER provided you by the federal government.

remember...a desk never runs out of fuel.

Pocono,

Are you really a pilot? Haven't you learned that the media knows nothing about aviation?

I have never flown with a Captain that was afraid to add fuel, nor should they be. Rolling into EWR while at 45 min - 1 hour of fuel is standard procedure. If it gets too low, declare min fuel, an emergency or divert to one of the other airport in the EWR area and along the arrival corridors.

Personally, I would be more appreciative of a memo that thanks the pilot group for their professionalism and fuel conservation and then reinforces some fuel savings strategies. While poorly written, this is just a memo and anyone who feels threatened by it is crazy.

-minrest

This is another example of the media taking advantage of the publics "fear" of flying.

The whole "minimum fuel" thing was brought about with the intent on keeping certain flights (#69 and a couple others) from making an unnecessary fuel stop. There has never been a question of safety here. It just means that we may have to stop in Stewart to get some more fuel if we keep getting vectored around. If it's feasible, ATC will give these flights priority.

I've flown flight 69 a bunch of times and we are topped off 99% of the time. We couldn't add fuel if we wanted to so "the memo" doesn't really apply here.

The other part of the message that you didnt hear was that the EWR 737 Asst Chief Pilot put out a memo that basically said... put what ever fuel you need on the airplane to get it done, if you have to add fuel... do it.

As far as I know no one has been called on the carpet for adding gas.

The original memo that I wont post here (internal company pubs) was written by a guy who probably hasnt touched an airplane in the last 5 years, so really take it with a grain of salt.

EDIT----

I forgot to add that Pocono is an idiot.... sorry I forgot about you!

Excuse me, but why are you all so rude. I didn't write the memo, and I didn't make the news report on TV. I just posted that I am in agreement with all the CAL pilots on this one. Also I was just offering any support that you guys needed from your XJT brothers and sisters.

Did you guys even bother to click the link and watch the news report? http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5764621

I didn't write this you know, right guys???

I guess you CAL boys like to shoot the messenger becuase of your little wee-wees. LOL

Latest resources

Back