CAL Application for Antitrust Immunity

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skywdriver

Any idea when that thing is supposed be approved??? If Oberstar is able to delay or get legislation approved to change the current system like he wants, I would think that would be bad news for us at CAL. Although he tried to stir up trouble for the merger and got nowhere with that. I hope he gets nowhere with this as well.

http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D96505HO0.htm

Last edited:
Part of the steps of a merger with UAL...expect it in the fall of '09 after Star Alliance stuff is done.....it is still coming. They are just getting things in order.

I agree. Don't know if it will be that quick but I imagine when it is announced, the only major hurdles to get through will be the seniority integration of the labor groups as everything else will be up and running in parallel with the "joint venture" for a year or so. I think looking long term, it will be a good thing for all of us. The largest airline in the world with hubs in the largest population centers in the country(NYC,LAX,IAH,IAD,ORD,SFO). If we can get the employee groups to work out the seniority situation like DAL/NWA, we are in business.
IAHERJ

Well, if it does happen I hope to God that the seniority integration happens after the CAL furloughs are back on property. I can't imagine how bad it would be for us otherwise with all the furloughing UAL has done. In addition, I still question the real gains of a merger from a business perspective. Glorified codeshare = route structure to compete with Delta. Merger = Sink both airlines. I know a lot of great folks at United, and I feel sorry for them right now. However, they are running a bad business, losing tons of money, and they have a ton of old airplanes. What does CAL really gain other than some great route authority? Is that really worth the headache? I think if the guys upstairs at CAL wanted a merger, it would have already happened. There was a reason that they said no.

Latest resources

Back