• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL and UAL after the merger.....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SNAFU followed by TARFU followed by FUBAR is what will happen as soon as a abitrator is involved.

Last edited:
LivinDaDream said:
Just a thought on career expectations....

Career Expectations are measured the day before the merger. They are based on reasonable career forecasts based on the condition, growth potential, and pilot attrition of the current airline and pilot group. They are not based on our wish lists.

The bottom 10% at CAL are looking at upgrades in 4-5 years, the top half of the seniority list in 10 or less, and retiring in the top 10% (777 or 756 CPT) depending on their age. Most everyone above that will have the ability to use their seniority to pretty much determine their quality of life for the duration.

The bottom 10% at UAL are in a totally different situation. A large number of them are furloughed. Many of those have been hired elsewhere, chosen new careers, or otherwise have no intention of returning. As for the bottom few hundred currently on the property at UAL, I really don't know what expectations are reasonable. I don't have the retirement numbers, which would be the biggest driving force to what a UAL pilot can expect from his/her remaining years at UAL.

I am not throwing this out as flame bait. I am trying to open up dialogue based on a realistic scenario. These are the factors that will have to be considered and that an arbitrator will use to reach a decision. Although "CAL EWR B737" is correct with his comments about arbitrators. They are really big on splitting the baby. This way, everybody gets a piece,...but who wants half a dead baby??? It would really be in everyone's best interest to resolve this between pilots, but how often does that work out???

Didn't someone say on this forum that the junior CAL CA is 1998 while the junior UAL is quite a bit earlier (1993?)?

densoo said:
Didn't someone say on this forum that the junior CAL CA is 1998 while the junior UAL is quite a bit earlier (1993?)?

Junior Capt at UAL is a 1997 Hire.

UAL has a lot more widebodies, let the FUN begin!

FutureTEDpilot said:
Junior Capt at UAL is a 1997 Hire.

UAL has a lot more widebodies, let the FUN begin!

CAL will be bankrupt in a year or so. Career expectations can change on a weekly basis.

Actually, irregardless of 800d0g's comments, with CAL's securement of an flight attendent agreement, look for CAL to enhance an already exploding international expansion. Whether UAL is a part of that or not remains to be seen. I think you will be able to see this in JAN with CAL's system bid. Look for hiring to continue throughout 2006 with the purchase of additional aircraft. As for intergration of senority lists, I believe ALPA does not give furloughed pilots the same status as a current employeed pilot. Anyone with more info on ALPA merger policy?

It is not ALPA which decides. It is usually a circuit court or higher which interpets the Allegenhy Mohawk provisions plus all of the other descions which have had impact on mergers.

If the two carriers are ALPA, yes ALPA merger committees and a party from a neutral third ALPA airline decide.

Allegheny-Mohawk is applied when 1 or both are non-ALPA.

Historically ALPA mergers have taken into account career expectations rather than just a straight seniority staple. It's all negotiable.

Latest resources

Back