Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

(o) (o)

Ok, just some fun now.

What do you guys think the fleet will consist of after they shook hands?

With the exception of the 744s and the A320s, Their fleet are the same.

So do you think the 744 will stay and serve the Far East?

But here's my favorite question...will CAL guys begin to wear blue? I'm sure those rednecks will fit in real well with the "brain surgeons"

Last edited:
not there, but try this one

http://biz.yahoo.com/n/y/y0002.html

which gives you this one at 2:43p, 12/13/5

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh39059_2005-12-13_19-43-48_n12280452_newsml

which says

"Restructured United may be merger target-analysts
Tue Dec 13, 2005 02:43 PM ET

By Kyle Peterson

CHICAGO, Dec 13 (Reuters) - United Airlines is poised to start life after bankruptcy as a leaner, possibly meaner flying machine that may look like a tempting merger partner for another major airline seeking a mate."

Wouldn't over $3B (CO) in maturing debt be a major hurdle in a merger? Continental has a market capitalization of $1.24B. I'm sure some Wall Street gurus could figure out some way to dismantle that mountain of debt. Why would UAL with a relatively clean balance sheet want to assume that debt? I just don't see this happening, however it must be true, it was in the USA Today.

Jetjockey,

I agree with your assesment of CAL and the problems their balance sheet brings to a hypothetical merger. What is telling is that of the two airlines, only CAL continues to make public statements regarding a UAL merger. Thankfully, UAL has shown no overt interest in Continental.

Hopefully we can have a real discussion and see what is in store for both sides. I wouldn't want to be furloughed and watching this play out, better to be in a seat when and IF we merge.

I would rather see us (UAL) grow on our own, but I think the writing in on the wall so to speak....

I think if CAL and UAL merge, they should place all CAL new hires ahead of all the United Furloughed pilots. Just like what America West wants to do with the US Airways pilots on furlough.
Yeah right, that is hopefully never gonna happen. People on furlough do have career expectations.

Cheers,

Marty

As far as an integrated list your guess is as good as mine. The only thing I'm sure is we will eventually get binding arbitration. How the arbitrator puts the lists together will probably piss off everyone. As wth all binding arbitrations there is no appeal process.

One thing I am sure is management will take care of themselves as they always do. Why worry about what hasn't happened. Could UAL/CAL merge? Sure but we could also not merge with anyone along with many other merger scenarios yes. I remember Gordo always used to say we wont be the ugly girl without a dance partner at the end of the dance or something to that effect.

I've been at CAL for almost 19 years and I can't tell you how many times we've almost merged with someone over the years. When and if it happens then worry about it until then chill. My two cents.

Last edited:
Just a thought on career expectations....

Career Expectations are measured the day before the merger. They are based on reasonable career forecasts based on the condition, growth potential, and pilot attrition of the current airline and pilot group. They are not based on our wish lists.

The bottom 10% at CAL are looking at upgrades in 4-5 years, the top half of the seniority list in 10 or less, and retiring in the top 10% (777 or 756 CPT) depending on their age. Most everyone above that will have the ability to use their seniority to pretty much determine their quality of life for the duration.

The bottom 10% at UAL are in a totally different situation. A large number of them are furloughed. Many of those have been hired elsewhere, chosen new careers, or otherwise have no intention of returning. As for the bottom few hundred currently on the property at UAL, I really don't know what expectations are reasonable. I don't have the retirement numbers, which would be the biggest driving force to what a UAL pilot can expect from his/her remaining years at UAL.

I am not throwing this out as flame bait. I am trying to open up dialogue based on a realistic scenario. These are the factors that will have to be considered and that an arbitrator will use to reach a decision. Although "CAL EWR B737" is correct with his comments about arbitrators. They are really big on splitting the baby. This way, everybody gets a piece,...but who wants half a dead baby??? It would really be in everyone's best interest to resolve this between pilots, but how often does that work out???

Latest resources

Back