• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

CAL and GATT rate change

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It isn't just IAH. Tried to trade a one day for a one day last night and by the time I rang scheds it was gone, straight pickup.

Some adopted their attitudes to continue the me-first-me-only work practices. Many more though, I think, simply checked out. They needed the paycheck as we all do, but detested the situation they found themselves when it came to cockpit dynamics.

It is amazing how many people in this group simply do not pay attention to what is going on in the pilot group. They checked out a long time ago and don't plan on getting involved.

When I got back from furlough there were pilots (even FOs) who didn't know and didn't care there had been people on furlough. They bid, flew their line, and went home.

As long as their paycheck doesn't decrease significantly, they'll vote yes on the next contract--if they vote at all.

By the way, the straight pick up last night was, as it frequently is, a 2005-hire

Just wondering...
Was it an individual on RFL? Because if it was, I really don't have a problem with that though I have heard others do.
The reality is, an RFL pilot picking up a trip from Open time (though, rather have them pick up an ADV trip if it's available!) is the reason reason that a few dozen pilots who are on the bottom of the list are still employed and not furloughed.
(Though.. you have to wonder if the company would have furloughed another 50 or so pilots in the short term... without the RFL's)

You are correct that there are more pilots who thing of themselves than think of the greater good, here at CAL. Though, not sure if it's a CAL problem or industry/generation thing. Every Pilot Group will have their 5-10% who don't care about the rest of their fellow employees. With our numbers, that makes between 230 to 460 pilots... and not all of them are scabs either!

Hopefully those company saviors won't be enough to save the company from this coming summers flying schedule. I still think we will see a recall before the summer hits. Even a recall in April/May would allow some of those pilots to be on line before the storm hits~

Anyone know if CAL has ever put out a bid within months of one closing?
I know we had 3 bids last year... maybe another bid beginning of April? God knows this bid was a joke and there is no way we can fly our schedule as is if/when things start to go wrong! Not to mention-

1) we will have more retirements than forecasted (as history has shown)
2) not all the COLA's will be coming back
3) there will be medical leaves/deaths
4) our fleet numbers are increasing this year
5) we have already added new flights, and I expect we will add a few more
6) the economy is slowly recovering
7) the Hawaii flying out of CLE will be a cluster and cause even more problems

It isn't just IAH. Tried to trade a one day for a one day last night and by the time I rang scheds it was gone, straight pickup.

On the other point. The mid-eighties hires aren't the only problem. For a generation of new hires the mid-eighties hires were holding all the captain's seats. For 10 years all the new hire FOs had to come to terms with the PICs they were flying with.

Some adopted their attitudes to continue the me-first-me-only work practices. Many more though, I think, simply checked out. They needed the paycheck as we all do, but detested the situation they found themselves when it came to cockpit dynamics.

It is amazing how many people in this group simply do not pay attention to what is going on in the pilot group. They checked out a long time ago and don't plan on getting involved.

When I got back from furlough there were pilots (even FOs) who didn't know and didn't care there had been people on furlough. They bid, flew their line, and went home.

As long as their paycheck doesn't decrease significantly, they'll vote yes on the next contract--if they vote at all.

By the way, the straight pick up last night was, as it frequently is, a 2005-hire. If you have a bent towards selfishness, the environment at CAL unfortunately nurtures this no matter when you were hired. That is the incredibly destructive and enduring legacy of the Lorenzo days. He destroyed a once proud airline and the effects continue 25 years later.

I am 100% against picking up open time while the guys are out if you are just trying to be a whore. But you need to be careful because there are guys who will drop their line down to nothing and then pick up straight time to get their value back. You have no idea if it was this case. The only way to know for sure is to look at their pbs award, and figure out if they are still on all their trips.

Well, all the over-60 guys flying 100+ hours a month just need to remember one thing. Working that hard at that age is certain to result in an early grave. Karma's a b*tch, gummers.

Latest resources

Back