Cai-ssh

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KC-10 Driver

Anyone here ever flown between Cairo (HECA) and Sharm el Sheikh (HESH)? I know Egyptair serves that route, but I'm wondering about any other carrier (or, at least one I'd be comfortable putting my family on).

Thanks!

KC-10, you are having some great vacations!

I felt comfortable flying on Egyptair. Did so twice last year. Rome - CAI, CAI - LHR.

I always take a business card when traveling overseas, use it to introduce yourself to the flight crew (through the purser or lead FA). They have the same gripes that we do here in the USA. As an added benefit, my Wife and I received comp upgrades to First Class or Business every time I did so.

You probably saw my post inquiring about Marrakesh. Unfortunately that trip didn't happen -- load factors on the return got uncomfortably high for non-revving. So, our consolation prize was 5 days snorkling and diving in Belize (I know, go cry me a river...). That was a getaway for Momma and me -- no kids.

Our next trip will (hopefully) will be in May, to Egypt, with the kids. We want them to see the pyramids and other attractions in/around Cairo, then a few days at Sharm el Sheikh for snorkling/diving.

Regarding the pyramids, I am planning on staying in Giza -- that's where the main pyramids are. However, I've been reading on some travel sites that Luxor actually is a less crowded alternative. Has anyone been to both, and have any insight?

In the Sinai, besides Sharm, I would like to take them to St Catherine's monastery. Does anyone have any experience with that? It is about 150 miles from Sharm to St Catherines. Is it driveable, or should we fly? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Concerning getting upgraded -- I wholeheartedly subscribe to your technique! I always give my business card to the purser, and ask to introduce my self to the captain. Invariably, if there are seats available, we get upgraded to first or business.

Last edited:
A pat on the back?

KC-10 Driver said:
We want them to see the pyramids and other attractions in/around Cairo, then a few days at Sharm el Sheikh for snorkling/diving...

In the Sinai, besides Sharm, I would like to take them to St Catherine's monastery.

I just wanted to say, nice job. I think travelling is real gift to most kids. And I'm not talking about Disneyland or Mammoth.

As a child I did a little travelling with my parents and I have to say it was probably one of those "shaping" experiences.

I think it's pretty important to see how other people can be *simultaneously* the same and yet very different.

Not only that but travelling automatically begs questions of history and culture.

They'll get none of that at Disneyland or Mammoth.

Ok, speech over. (Lately I'm really on a soapbox...)

And GREAT tip with the business card.
Arrivederci.

Thanks for the pat on the back

I'm not the kind of person who goes around quoting famous dead people. However, there is one quote about which I often think. It was by St Augustine of Hippo, and he said, "The world is a book, and those who don't travel only read one page." That kind of sums up the attitude my wife and I have about travelling with our kids.

I travelled a lot as a kid. My dad's company posted him in the U.K. for several years, and I saw almost all of Europe (both East and West) before the age of ten. Those were my formative years. I remember getting a children's National Geographic world atlas for Christmas one year, and I practically memorized that book.

Now today, my kids, my wife and I all have fond memories of travelling in other countries. We can spend an hour or two taking a break in a park in another country, and my kids will be playing with kids with whom they can't even talk. That's on of the things I'm most proud of -- my kids are very worldly and open-minded about people from other cultures.

Anyway, back off my soap box, and back on subject.

Still looking for advice about Egypt...

Last edited:
The Chinese have a saying, " Du wan juan shu, bu ru, shing wan li lu " Which translated means, you learn more by walking 10,000 miles than by reading 10,000 books. I'm a big believer in that premise and will make sure my child travels extensively.

In regards to your question on Egypt. I would highly recommend a trip to Luxor to see the Temple of Karnak, The Valley of the Kings, and The Valley of the Queens. I would also take the 3 day Nile river cruise to Aswan, time permitting. While the pyramids at Giza are a must see along with the Egyptian musuem in Cairo, a trip to Luxor would complete the effect as this is where you can enter temples and tombs. The cruise up the Nile is pretty good as well as there are additional tombs worth seeing along the way. The rest of the time you can get an appreciation for life along the river.

I highly recommend getting a guide who is an Egyptologist while in Cairo. Even if for just one day to take you to the Egyptian Musuem and the Pyramids. You'll get a much better understanding of the history and artifacts and you'll get to see the major portions of the Egyptian Musuem in a timely manner.

We flew Egypt Air from Cairo to Luxor and then back from Aswan to Cairo without any problem.

Typhoonpilot

We had a guide for the day that was an Egyptologist. What a great experience! He was able to get us into parts of the antiquities that the average guide would not have been able to. PM me if interested and I will shag down his contact info. We also got a seperate driver (specify air conditioned car!) to simplify things. The cost was very reasonable.

We stayed in Cairo, at the old hotel (The Mina) at the base of the Pyramids. It is a little pricey, but just cannot be beat. There is something about sitting on your balcony looking up at the Pyramids...

We moved into town to the Nile Hilton on our last day. Literally next door to the Egyptian Musuem, and a must see. I used Hilton points for that night, and with my Hilton HHonors Diamond card they treated us like we were visiting royalty. Also took a Nile dinner cruise at my wife's insistence, it turned out to be really cool.

Man, I want to go back now!

:D

Latest resources

Back