C-5 days TDY per year

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

llowwelll

I'm considering taking a C-5 to Travis. Does anyone have any ballpark figures for days TDY per year for pilots in the active duty C-5 community? I'd also be interested in knowing what the difference in TDY rates might be for someone with an attached/on-loan type of job vs a line flyer. Thanks!

When on the C130 and C141 TDY a month varies. Now since your on FRED and flying you can add more time do to maintence problems. You can plan around 4-7 days maybe a little more.

It's probably very similiar to your 141 days; yeah, plan on adding 3-7 days onto your SRT since the FRED tends to want to sit on the ground. Attached guys tend to have better control of their lives since they are committed to their "additional duty". When I was "loaned out", I didn't fly for 2-3 weeks at a time unless a contingency or something crazy (ie. a war) kicked off. My flying breaks were anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. From my experience, the trips averaged about 6 "scheduled" days per trip. On a 4 week long flying break, I was gone on an average of 2-3 weeks. Ofcoure, this all depends on the ops tempo. I've been away from the FRED for a while, so things could have changed but that's my .02. If you have not been to Travis, it's a very nice place to live if you like California. The homes tend to be kinda pricey but you won't be bored. Good luck!

Like BR said, it really depends on ops tempo. I't's either feast or famine. I was there until just before 9/11 and it was sort of slow. Probably about 1 or 2 trips (with 5-6 day SRT's) a month. I think maintenance was getting a little better, so we didn't break as much (even though it was still quite often). When stuff in Kosovo was going on, I felt like I was living in Scotland we were gone so much. I know some guys now that are still there now and they tell me it's a 14 day trip followed by about 3-5 days off and then another 14 days, and so on and so on and so on.

Latest resources

Back