• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-421 Down @ KFXE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Saw on the news a witness saw an engine on fire before it went down. Not sure how credible.

On another note, my boss gave me a letter from Cessna three days ago stating their concern that owners and operators have not been complying with the exhaust AD that plagues the twin Cessnas. We have been compliant, but the memo basically said that some reports from overhaul shops had seen significant increase in aircraft with damaged exhaust. Those aircraft were not keeping up with the 50 hr inspections or the other inspections involved.

This is no speculation on the cause of the crash, just a reminder to be good with MX. AD's are out for a reason.

LIVE from the scene;:cool:

Residents say they've become used to the presence of aircraft overhead, often uncomfortably close.

"They're always flying over us. Sometime I have to crank up the TV to hear it," said Irene Fredlund, 52, who has lived in the area for decades.

"I can't afford to move," said 20-year resident Ronald Plavnick, 71, who lives a block from Friday's crash site. "You just keep your fingers crossed and pray for the best."

Old guys....

Saw on the news a witness saw an engine on fire before it went down. Not sure how credible.

On another note, my boss gave me a letter from Cessna three days ago stating their concern that owners and operators have not been complying with the exhaust AD that plagues the twin Cessnas. We have been compliant, but the memo basically said that some reports from overhaul shops had seen significant increase in aircraft with damaged exhaust. Those aircraft were not keeping up with the 50 hr inspections or the other inspections involved.

This is no speculation on the cause of the crash, just a reminder to be good with MX. AD's are out for a reason.

I used to fly and maintain a C421, and even with a through 50 hr inspection, I still had an exhaust failure. The give away was the MP decreased to ambient. The only thing to do is shut down the affected engine. Even with the quick shutdown there was engine mount head damage and cowling damage. It doesn't take long.

If the eyewitnesses are correct, he hit near vertical, which would suggest a VMC stall spin. Although the 421 is a docile flyer, it still can bite if you are slow (or unable) to secure the bad engine. Think large, geared props.

I also don't know which model 421 it was. Pre-A, A, B, or C.

CE

Edit, if the article is correct, it was a 1974 which would make it a C421B

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back