C-414 operator ever make money?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

icefr8dawg

A guy I know is starting a 135 operation with a 414 that he intends on purchasing. Question is, despite all the naysayers, do operations with one cabin class piston make/loose much money when run properly? We're talking the NY area.

Just dropped one (414A) off the certificate after many years of service. We are in the west, much different environment than NY, but the aircraft's drawbacks were catching up with it. Out of Jackson Hole IMC at night on life flights was a scary thought. There was still a very limited, maybe one or two per month charters in our area, but not enough to justify the aircraft.

A big factor is that our customers are usually willing to pay for turbine, or not willing enough to pay for the 414.

Also, staffing was getting difficult. Our open pilot policy was 2000tt. Anybody who was qualified wanted turbine time.

Having said all that, we have a nice 414 for sale!

I know a guy in Redding who is doing killer work with just a C340...if you hustle...you can make it.

Eric

Yea, from talking to people the hustle and a reliable engine friendly pilot is key. That's once you've got a nice 1/2mm credit facility behind you tho

our operation just dropped both 414's. i think we weren't prepared for the cost associated w/ both aircraft.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back