C-37 from UPT?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
C-21 Combat Learjet

I find it funny that some of you think flying a TANKER is more of a "fight" than the times I landed C-21s in some of the very same airfields that C-130s were flying into inside Iraq.

In 60 days or so, I logged about 10 hours of combat time, and that was with a very light flying schedule.

Re: C-21 Combat Learjet

HueyPilot said:
I find it funny that some of you think flying a TANKER is more of a "fight" than the times I landed C-21s in some of the very same airfields that C-130s were flying into inside Iraq.

If I understand you correctly, you're equating a tanker, say, supporting combat ops by orbiting over Iraq fueling the strike package, or going in to bring a low-fuel fighter out of Indian Country less than a "fight" than flying a combat visual aproach into an airport that's already been subdued by friendly forces? Um, yeah, I see the similarities. :rolleyes:

Geez, just be proud of what you've done without trying to denigrate someone else's efforts, especially if you're going to bring it like that.

Peace,
DP

More on OIF

I'm not denigrating anyone. I've got plenty of good friends flying tankers, and without them we certainly couldn't do our combat mission.

However, flying an airplane with NO defensive systems whatsoever into into airfields that still have aircrews reporting regular shots taken at aircraft isn't exactly risk free. And while we did our share of DV airlift, a good share of our missions in-country supported efforts that I can't really share over this board...perhaps the results of our trips into Iraq will be shared across the news media some day. But I'm proud to have played a role in such actions.

I'd say that assuming the C-21 has NO combat mission and that we do NOTHING for the war effort except fly generals to PSAB and back is denigrating itself.

Sorry, but it became a sore point for me after we did what we did (and continue to do) and everyone still thought we were a joke. I'm not going to say "we won the war due to the C-21"....but when a crew brings along flak vests, flies an airplane with zero defensive capability into an airfield where other aircraft were getting shot at pretty regularly, and doing so bringing in priority personnel....it gets pretty annoying when everyone still assumes you're still flying cush "safe" missions. Oh, did I mention that we had to FIGHT to allow the USAF to allow us to log combat time flying in Iraq? Just to show you the mentality.

My comment about students wanting FAIP and C-21 assignments was more of a mentality issue than a mission issue.
I'm sure you had an important job going into Baghdad and I applaude you and your efforts. But honestly...did you really think you were going to bring the fight to the bad guys when you got your assignment to the C-21?

Hopefully, when students hear about your efforts they'll say, "sh*t hot!! I want to do that!!", and not "oh sh*t! Now what can I get to pump up my hours without getting shot at?"

talondriver said:
Hopefully, when students hear about your efforts they'll say, "sh*t hot!! I want to do that!!", and not "oh sh*t! Now what can I get to pump up my hours without getting shot at?"

Getting shot at is highly overrated, anyway.

HueyPilot,

You may have not intended to denigrate someone else's efforts, but to DP & myself you did just that. You probably don't realize guys like DP and many others graduated in the top 1/4 of their UPT classes in the early 90s and took tankers to avoid a desk. Others chose to fly tankers for very personal reasons such as humanitarian assignments.

I've read many of your posts which have always been well written. The one DP reponded to seemed unlike you and I was disappointed that you wrote it. DP is a one great laid back guy and to ruffle his feathers is quite an achievement. You are the first person I've ever seen do that in the 8+ years I've known him.

Yahtz

P.S. "I'm not denigrating anyone" isn't the same as "I didn't mean to denigrate anyone"

True, true...

But the best way to denigrate someone is to say:

"Yeah...but I can tell by your lack of skills, poise, or any outward appearance of an advanced education you must be a Georgia graduate!"

(hee hee)

War D@mn Eagle and football season is only weeks away!

See you at the tailgates!

Albie,

True, true...

That's the excuse I've been using for all these years. ;)

We'll see you in Athens...and hopefully again in Atlanta. Auburn looks dang good this year and unfortunately, Florida draws the easiest schedule in the East as they only face one set of Tigers....LSU! The Dawgs are going to have long season...it will be successful with a win in Jax on 1 Nov, and the fans will accept a 9-3 season as long as we beat Florida.

Yahtz

P.S. Hueypilot has long been forgiven. I wasn't angry with him, just disappointed by his words and I just had to stick up for DP.

Last edited:
Ah, the love. To further inspire thread creep, I have a question for you SEC fans. When is a highly touted SEC-bred quarterback going to finally be worth a gosh-darn (that's a southern term, ain't it?) in the NFL? Looks like poor ol' Couch is going to be riding the pine for the Browns (spit).

(Let's see, gotta say something military aviation-related.) I got a Raptor refueling this week. That's a good looking bird. Turns on a friggin' dime. Don't think those will be in UPT drops for some time to come :D

Latest resources

Back