• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-20, C-32, C-37, C-40

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As out-of-my-league as a C-40 to Hickam sounds, I'd certainly try for it after my next tour as a C-130 driver. Right now I'm flying C-21s, but as they say...don't expect two "good deal" assignments....it's likely I'll wind up either doing two ops tours in the Herk or an ops tour followed by a UPT/FTU tour.

One thing that may help is I'll probably try to Palace CHASE after my ops tour....I figure they produced a ton of young LTs in my year-group (FY2000), and not all of us can pin on Major in the active component. That and I've already got 8 years of prior service in the ARNG (where I got all my UH-1 time). So my "good deal" hopefully will be an early return to the Guard/Reserve, where I can finish out my 20 or so years of service (already got 11).

But hey...I'll still inquire about the C-40...all they can do is say NO.

CCDiscoB said:
C40_Pilot,

That is great to hear. I like hearing stories about guys getting rewarded after a "less than desirable assignment." There are few bases, stateside, that are worse than Altus.

hehe. Laughlin, Cannon, Grand Forks come to mind.

Just wait until the AF has an assignment worse than FAIP: FAP.

First Assignment Predator.

MD

It's too late...

From what I've been told by recent UPT grads, they have already started handing out Predators in UPT drops. And they are coming from the T-38 side of the house...that can't be good if you're a sub-average T-38 stud!

Predators in drops???????

Ack!
A 2-or-3-year non-flying assignment right out of the gate! Sounds like 3rd pilots/banked pilots all over again. Will they go through IFF before or after the Predator assignment? If before, will they have to go back through some kind of requal course to get them ready for the fighter schoolhouse to follow? Are they getting C-12s to fly at Indian Springs yet?

Peace,
DP

UAV CTP program

Yes, it's true...the UAV'ers will get a CTP program (Companion Trainer Program), but the word is they'll get the recycled T-3A Firefly, since the USAF couldn't find any other place to put them.

I haven't kept up with the T-3 news, but hopefully they've identified the problems with that airframe and maybe a UAV assignment won't be AS bad (although certainly far from being a good assignment). At least you'll get to fly an aerobatic airplane and have some fun (if the planes won't kill you first!).

Where did you hear about the C-12? That'd be pretty cool, actually...get to fly a REAL airplane and go someplace other than the Nellis airspace.

On another note, I don't think the UAV first assignment is meant to be a banked pilot-type assignment...it's just that UAV ops have ramped up alot in recent years, and the MAJCOMs are ready to dump their UAV slots somewhere else (ie UPT grads) since it's not exactly an easy sell.

At least they'll be stationed in Vegas!

Viva Las Vegas!

The C-12 thing was a rumor I'd heard from a friend of a friend. T-3 sounds more likely, as it'd be much cheaper, and, as
mentioned, more plentiful.

Does Indian Springs still count as Vegas? ;)

Peace,
DP

DP,

Are you guys activated also? Our orders are for one year, but most speculate they won't use us that long. I don't mind since I'm just a bum.

I start Altus on Friday, 23 May. Then get the weekend off for Memorial Day....typical AF planning. :rolleyes: I'm planning to do a few CBTS then spend the rest of the weekend in Dallas.

Knowing how the AF seems to "cram" a three week course into three months, I'm sure the books can wait for me until Monday evening. ;)

Yahtz

First post- Long time lurker

Just three thoughts I'd like to add:

1) Altus is one of the best deals out there for heavy drivers right now. Home every night, all IP time, all holidays off, and did I mention home every night? They're interviewing like the 89th, and I think more competitive due to more guys in line. Seems like OSA, Altus, Tweets and T-1's are the most sought after 'cause of the old 'Home Every Night' thing.

2) The Chief of Staff Sight Picture that came out recently said 8 years MWS before a second good deal (see above) 'white jet.' So if you do OSA first, like I did, you can expect 96 months in an MWS before doing something else (I actually had a tweet to Columbus and after the Sight Picture came out, they took it away).

3) The 737 Biz-jet (& G5 to Florida) seem as competitive as the astronaut program. Buddies of mine have gone to both jobs, and they were both ultra-qualified and great guys, and were in long lists of other guys that were the same.

Bottom line: formerly bad deals are now good ones, and the lines for good deals are long, long, long. Just my 2 cents worth.

Yahtz,
Yup, 1 year for us too (actually 352 days, but who's counting). Just a partial mobilization though, not the whole unit, as long as we can meet AMC's needs. Although I think (and hope and pray) the war won't go on past the summer, I foresee AMC keeping us on the hook as long as possible for re-deployment purposes (gotta get all those fighter guys back home, as well as the t-tailers like yourself going back and forth). As you said, as a bum I don't mind it at all. Also, you get 30-odd sims before you hit the flightlline, so don't get burnt out studying the first week :p
As far as Altus is concerned, I agree it is a great deal if you're married. Single, not so much, unless you dig driving to Oke City, Wichita, or Wichita Falls most weekends for "real" action. As a married guy, I loved it. Location sucked, but the QOL factor was sky-high. Tanker-wise, they're starting to non-vol IPs there due to low manning numbers (at least as of my last telephone conversation 1.5 months ago), so it's a breeze to get it as a tanker driver.
UPT IPs? Those guys work too hard, especially the ones taking the hamburger off of the street :D

Peace,
DP

Latest resources

Back