• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-17 Rudder

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The airplanes I have flown, (Civilian) are restricted from using the YD on the ground.

The smaller aircraft (Beechjet, Excel, etc.) can't use the YD on the ground because it directly and adversely affects the nosewheel steering - if you try to make a left rudder input the YD senses it and tries to push it right. You fight against the YD, for example, if you leave it engaged and land with it on. Or so I'm told...;)

The bigger airplanes have the YD and nosewheel steering as separate systems so the YD can be engaged on the ground. In the KC-135, for example, it is required to be on for takeoff and landing. You never feel it in the rudder pedals because it is a separate channel on the rudder control and the only way you know it is moving is by looking at the rudder deflection indicator on the panel.

Of course the -135 has a different fly-by-wire than the C-17...the wires are twisted into cables and everything is connected together with them. :D

Of course the -135 has a different fly-by-wire than the C-17...the wires are twisted into cables and everything is connected together with them. :D

Great analogy (LMAO)--I never minded that system. It brought me home safe many times. Every time my computer locks up, I can't help but wonder about fly-by-wire. I'll admit that I have become quite fond of boosted flight controls though.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back