• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

C-130's Vs. KC-135's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a ANG pilot my whole career I can give you some good advice.

TAKE THE FIRST PILOT SLOT YOU GET. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU FLY IN THE GUARD, JUST A LONG AS YOU FLY.

DON'T PASS UP A TANKER FOR A HERC OR A HERC FOR A FIGHTER. I'D RATHER FLY A HERC OR A TANKER THAN BE SITTING ON THE SIDELINE ONLY WISHING I HAD TAKEN A SLOT.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE

Ok...I have to jump in an add my kudo's for the mighty Herk. In fact,flew a NVG low level to an actual (air drop) last night and itwas a beautiful night to fly. The illumination was a bit high but inthe back of the airplane...it is always dark! She is a wonderfulairplane with a wonderful mission. Best in the inventory.

Fotes, I thought that Herk story was from a Marine? And Baghdad onNVG's? When was that? And I assume landing on the northern most runway?If my memory serves me, it was later in the war when the runway'sstarting being used. We were using the taxiway/ramp on south side of15R/33L and did it in overt lighting. And we never did random shallowsinto Baghdad (J262), although maybe we should have sometimes. I thinkthis story is a bit dressed up....but that is my opinion.

As to the J model having a 100% MCR. And comparing it to an airplanethat is over 40 years old in some cases is a bit unfair. The E's andH's carried the bulk of the airlift missions into Iraq and had a muchbetter than 70% MCR. In fact, while we were there, our unit (KYANG) hadthe best MCR in theater for a while. The only J's there were the Brits.(BTW, they call the "older" Herks, the "Classics"!) I think the J willfind its way, eventually but you will still see the E's and H's carrythe load for a long time to come. When the X mod comes out, there willbe a merging of the "classic" fleet. The "J" is an impressive airplaneand will be accepted into the fold when she is full up mission qual.

What exactly is the C-17's mission? Is she a Strat or Tac lifter? Asquadron mate of mine was on an ALCE team in Pakistan during thefighting over there and they were not impressed with the C-17. He saidthey left quite a bit of cargo on the ramp so they could fill up on gasto get back to Germany. They too are a good airplane with some teethingproblems.

The Herk is the $hit anyway you look at it! After 2700 hours of beingtossed around in her droaning along at 300 kts....I still love her.

Just can't believe everything you hear/read

Jett,

I got over there in July 2003 and did about 120 days on and off thereafter. As far as that story, a Major in my unit, as well as a Southwest FO wrote that story while we deployed there at that time. He sent it out to a few friends and before you knew it it was coming back around saying it was written by a Miramar Marine Herk guy. For one the real author has a copyright on the story and is writing a book on it. Secondly read the details of the story. Miramar MCAS does not have C-130E's like the story describes. I have a great friend that flies Herks down at NAS Miramar and he says they don't even fly a mission described in the story. He flies KC-130's and does mainly refueling.

Yes they did open up the main runways into Baghdad. We did mainly NVG approaches to 25L and they did not have overt lights, just lights extremely low. Random Steeps quickly went away after so many dangerous things kept occuring if you know what I mean. The SPINS have you adhere to altitude restrictions but let's just say they have to be disregarded at times to protect yourself, hence going in barely in the weeds to an airfield.

I agree with your rational about comparing 40 year planes to brand new ones. Sorry to sound unfair. I guess I get frustrated when people blast the best Herk ever made with uncredible informaton, like talking to a Liberal I guess. See you around and good luck out there. Say hi to your co-pilot Steve for me.

Foties.

Absolutely the best airplane I've ever flown was the Herc. I'd trade my current Citation X for a Herc in a nanosecond.

pkober said:
As a ANG pilot my whole career I can give you some good advice.

TAKE THE FIRST PILOT SLOT YOU GET. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOU FLY IN THE GUARD, JUST A LONG AS YOU FLY.

DON'T PASS UP A TANKER FOR A HERC OR A HERC FOR A FIGHTER. I'D RATHER FLY A HERC OR A TANKER THAN BE SITTING ON THE SIDELINE ONLY WISHING I HAD TAKEN A SLOT.

Just my two cents.

Good Luck

CLAMBAKE

THIS GUY FREAKIN' NAILED IT!

I was asked in my interview (for the mighty Stratotanker) what my first choice was, as far as aircraft/unit. I answered my first choice was the -135 and here. My reason for that answer is that my first choice is whoever I'm interviewing with. Fire off the apps to every unit you might be interested in and take whichever picks you up first.

Hey,

I left in July for an injury. Good to hear it was an AF guy who wrote the story and not some Marine:) I will look forward to the book.

J models....California I assume. We had your AG as a commander. Ifland..good dude...hell he got me off base for two nights when my girlfriend (now wife) came over to see me in Dubai.

I think you meant to say 15L. As to things that bite in the night..yeah I know what you mean.

As to the best Herk ever made...maybe when they work everything out on her. Until then, I will keep the "classics"! Any way you look at it..if your not in a Herk..your a Jerk.

Load Clear!
Foties said:
Jett,

I got over there in July 2003 and did about 120 days on and off thereafter. As far as that story, a Major in my unit, as well as a Southwest FO wrote that story while we deployed there at that time. He sent it out to a few friends and before you knew it it was coming back around saying it was written by a Miramar Marine Herk guy. For one the real author has a copyright on the story and is writing a book on it. Secondly read the details of the story. Miramar MCAS does not have C-130E's like the story describes. I have a great friend that flies Herks down at NAS Miramar and he says they don't even fly a mission described in the story. He flies KC-130's and does mainly refueling.

Yes they did open up the main runways into Baghdad. We did mainly NVG approaches to 25L and they did not have overt lights, just lights extremely low. Random Steeps quickly went away after so many dangerous things kept occuring if you know what I mean. The SPINS have you adhere to altitude restrictions but let's just say they have to be disregarded at times to protect yourself, hence going in barely in the weeds to an airfield.

I agree with your rational about comparing 40 year planes to brand new ones. Sorry to sound unfair. I guess I get frustrated when people blast the best Herk ever made with uncredible informaton, like talking to a Liberal I guess. See you around and good luck out there. Say hi to your co-pilot Steve for me.

Foties.

Latest resources

Back