• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

c-130 reserve interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Its good to see you thinking this stuff thru. It looks like you'll do fine.

As for why not a fighter, try something like stressing that you like the mission or that the C-130 will be around forever. Or just be honest and say they were the first to call and all you want to do is fly.

I interviewed with F-16, A10 and C-130 units. I knew guys from all units and told them that it was the people at that unit that made me want to fly their. This is why I stress getting to know your local unit if possible.

As for civ job. Its OK to say your gunning for a full time job their but let them know you have a backup while you wait or if one just dosen't open. Full time jobs in the guard and res. are almost or can be like gold. That goes double now that everyone is furloughed. That pitt unit is most likely US Air mainline guys too. Any way if you get that ?, try something like I plan on flying as much a possible but will not be a burden on the unit. I will return and get a commuter job here in pitt with PSA or Chit (if their hiring in 2 years) and fly or return and fly and work as a sub teacher on the side untill a perm. flying job opens.

Sure its fine to say airlines, what do you think they do for a real job

Vandal,
Have you thought about what you'd say if they ask you if you'd be interested in an Air Reserve Technician (ART) position? I ask because it may very well come up. I assume you are familiar with it but if not, let me know and I'll fill you in on the details. Even if you're thinking airlines, it's not a bad deal. Once you upgrade to Aircraft commander you'd be making about $70K a year and you'd have some serious job security. Just something to think about.
Otto

No I haven't heard of that Otto? Is it a maintenance position where you can upgrade to flight status eventually?

In's and outs of being an ART

Vandal,
The ART position is for all of the people who run the squadron full time. They are considered civil service employees even though they wear the uniform everyday. In the reserves, all of the full time people are either ART's or AGR's (active guard & reserve). Whether it's the your pilot scheduler, currents ops guys, or your squadron commander, chances are they're all ART's and they all fly. It's that whole officer first, pilot second thing. In our squadron they actually end up doing most of the flying since we have such a hard time getting the other guys to go on trips. The upsides to being an art...good pay, excellent job security, a real career if the airlines don't work out, and great benefits. The downsides...you have to work at least a 40 hour week and only a portion of that can be flying so if you want to really build hours, you spend a lot of weekends and nights flying. As a "bum" (part timer with no other job) you can fly all you want and still say no when you don't want a trip...the downside of that is you don't work, you don't get paid. As a bum though, you'd still make more than you would as an FO at a commuter and your life would be a lot more enjoyable. When you interview, you might want to ask them about the ART program...they'll probably just be impressed you know about it.
Otto

Stupid question Otto, so I don't sound stupid in the interview, do you say A.R.T like an acronym or do you say it as a word "art"? And thanks for the info, it definetly sounds like a decent plan if for some reason the airlines don't work out.

Interview is this weekend...I'll post what happens Sunday night when I get home. This is going to be intense...

It's pronounced as a word.

i.e. a retirement home for a group of highly distinguished reserve technicians could be called a Museum of Fine Arts.
:rolleyes:
Bad Pun I know:p

Hehe thanks sonic. Didn't want to roll in pretending to know my stuff and sound like a retard.

Vandal,

If you want to sound really cool, you can ask about "Baby ART" slots. This term is used when lower grade ART positions are offered to new pilots.

Andrew
Aspiring Baby ART :)

Well just got back from the board. Was me in a room with 8 dudes in flight suits. Pretty intimidating. But they asked the basic stuff, just went around the table. Asked about my previous jobs, my flight time, my personal qualities, etc. Like any other job interview just 100X more intense.

Was 6 of us there for 3 slots so my odds are pretty good. After the board we went and toured the base and got to go sit in a c-130. What a cool place man...guys are just sitting around in their flight suits bull**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ting and hanging out. Reminded me of a fraternity.

Now the hard part, waiting 1-2 weeks for a call. Im going to be jumping at every ring of that phone.

Will let you guys know if I'm upt bound when I hear, thanks for all the great info!

-130 unit

You forgot reading the Wall Street Journal, working on your airline bid and trying to decide if you want to do the Hawaii trip or the Florida trip.......

Latest resources

Back