C-130 Flight Engineer Training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Coloaviator

Can anybody give me kind of a timeline of how flight engineer training progresses for the C-130. I understand the first portion is 4 weeks Little Rock and than back for 4 months Little Rock and than a few weeks in Washington for SERE school and a few days in Pensacola for water training. Is this correct and can you tell me more about it and what to expect, thanks in advance!

Can anybody give me kind of a timeline of how flight engineer training progresses for the C-130. I understand the first portion is 4 weeks Little Rock and than back for 4 months Little Rock and than a few weeks in Washington for SERE school and a few days in Pensacola for water training. Is this correct and can you tell me more about it and what to expect, thanks in advance!

Are you prior aircrew? If not, this what you can expect.

Aircrew Fundamentals and Basic FE school at Lackland. That is going to be about 2 months...maybe a little less. Then to the Rock for about 4. SERE is 21 days and water which will more than likely be done the day after you finish SERE in WA, is two days. Then back to your unit for seasoning. I would plan a year at a minimum.

Are you prior aircrew? If not, this what you can expect.

Aircrew Fundamentals and Basic FE school at Lackland. That is going to be about 2 months...maybe a little less. Then to the Rock for about 4. SERE is 21 days and water which will more than likely be done the day after you finish SERE in WA, is two days. Then back to your unit for seasoning. I would plan a year at a minimum.

When did the 1 level school move from Altus, which I think is the garden spot in the world.

I am not sure..but it is at Lackland which sucks balls. They are waaaayyyyy to military there.

I am glad it wasn't there when I went through it.. The school was still at Altus AFB. Lackland can't be too much fun, uniform inspections everyday, TI around, the brass wanting to make examples of people. So on so forth. Still contractors doing the school or is it military teachng the classes?

The problem is the career fields that take initial E-1's into the position. That gives you TI's and babysitters instead of a gentlemen's course. If all of the career fields--loadmasters, FE, aerial gunner, etc.--just took crosstrainees they could run a basic aircrew course for grownups.

Taught by military folks. Mostly staff's and Tech's..and they are all about the rank too. If an instructor is walking down the hall, the students are supposed to stop and turn and wait until the instructor passes. Or if you are in the common area where the vending machines are; same same. Fun to watch but reminds me of how good life is in the reserve components.

The first term'ers have some issues...some do well, some need to be tossed. They are still figuring out that the military is all about..and sometimes they forget some basics. That usually screws them.

Taught by military folks. Mostly staff's and Tech's..and they are all about the rank too. If an instructor is walking down the hall, the students are supposed to stop and turn and wait until the instructor passes. Or if you are in the common area where the vending machines are; same same. Fun to watch but reminds me of how good life is in the reserve components.

The first term'ers have some issues...some do well, some need to be tossed. They are still figuring out that the military is all about..and sometimes they forget some basics. That usually screws them.
They allow 1st termer in the FE career field now? In both shreds or just the Helo FE? All that other stuff just sucks. It was all contractors who taught and mil was admin.

WOW things have changed!!!

When I went through it was six weeks for Basic Flt Eng. (BFE) followed by four months of systems and sim, all in Little Rock. Then 3 weeks of SERE and then two months of Mission Qual. at home station.
Never went to Slackland or Altus. I was not prior aircrew.

Latest resources

Back