• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

deadstick

Pucker Factor: HIGH
pprunessilsoesid

I got the link off the PPRuNe forum, and it was accompanied by this:

"Warning: It is gruesome. Don't open the link unless you accept that real war footage and the glamorous Hollywood version are very different."

Last edited:
I figured that BMP would be a little more disassembled than it was. Nevertheless, ditto what spanky2 said.

Hate to be the wet blanket ... but I've seen that pic three pr four times over the years and each time it was accompanied by text stating it was a Russian BMP in Afghanistan in the 1980s.

Dunno if that's true or not, but I could have sworn I saw it pre-9/11.

Minh

Edit ... forgot to say that it was said to be a mine, not an airstrike. And having seen both up close (too close :D) ... I'd say it is a mine. But I like the Taliban angle better. :)

Last edited:
I've seen that one before and I'm pretty sure it was from the Soviet/Afgan war in the 80's.

If you really wanna see the results of a savage meeting some US military hardware (AH-64) click here:
http://www.alburaq.net/forum/thread.cfm?CFB=1&Tid=36516

It is VERY graphic, so if you don't wanna see what was on his mind shortly before he went on a search for those 72 virgins, skip the link.

amaineiac said:
I've seen that one before and I'm pretty sure it was from the Soviet/Afgan war in the 80's.

If you really wanna see the results of a savage meeting some US military hardware (AH-64) click here:
http://www.alburaq.net/forum/thread.cfm?CFB=1&Tid=36516

It is VERY graphic, so if you don't wanna see what was on his mind shortly before he went on a search for those 72 virgins, skip the link.
daamn...

Dat Apache do make a mess don't she?

:D :D :D

Seventy virgins? Here's a whole bunch of virgin 25 mike-mikes ... never been fired before (gunner opens up with cannon).

Minh

Not a bomb or missile - not a BMP either

Sorry guys, this BTR (probably BTR-70) looks like it hit a landmine. I've seen enough hellfire/maverick videos (and shot quite a few) to know how a vehicle is destroyed that way.

BMPs are all tracked vehicles. The BTR series are all wheeled (4 sets of wheels) with the exception of the BTR-50 (really old).

I know a number of SF/SEAL/PJ-CC guys, and they typically wouldn't misidentify a vehicle like that. Sure, a bad guy is a bad guy. Makes me certain that someone got ahold of a series of pics and tried some story with it.

I sure would like to have gone to the Israeli Apache Sniper school! I may have tested the limits of a hellfire or two, but never on a single warm body. Some news reports said they almost lost sight of him as his entourage rounded a corner. That was some steady flying, steady tracking, good timing and a touch of Ms. Lady Luck!

Either way, dead bad guys with permanently broken equipment is a good thing, no matter what the label says!

Like my daddy always says; "Believe what you see in the media, unless you know better!"

Fly safe and keep the dirty side down, mostly!

Last edited:
Video

The first film clip was from the Afghan war of the 1980s.

The second film clip is more recent...in fact, ABC or CBS showed the clip on the news, and apparently caused alot of outrage amongst the anti-war crowd...and plenty of talk of "that was a war crime!". Supposedly, some of the anti-war folks are convinced that those guys were simply farmers harvesting their crops...the truck being a farm truck and the other vehicle simply a tractor with a plow.

But what they don't understand is the WHOLE story...like the preceeding moments prior to the camera view. Makes me mad...a bunch of assuming morons.

Latest resources

Back