Buzzed EWR Tower 3 times yesterday

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LearLove

What are they doing with the Airfield at Wilow Grove? I use-ta work on the A-10's out there many years ago.

How did you guys get involved in warbird flying?
A warbird group just moved into my old companies hanger (Lancaster, Pa) a few month ago. With my new company, I have a lot of time on my hands. I'd like to get involved and though about volunteering to sweep the floors, wash the airplanes and do any thing else just to get my foot in the door.
jjet

For me it was right place right time. I had a bunch of tailwheel time and was put together with a guy who needed some dual in a PT-19. Then in a Staggerwing, Stearman, then L-19, T-6, and it took off from there. Over the years we developed a good friendship and I was able to fly whichever airplane was in is hangar whenever I wanted. When I moved a couple of hours down the road for work I discovered that there was a very active warbird community, all privately owned, in my new town. T-6s, Mustangs, you name it. From that point it was just being friendly and enjoying making new friends. Every year it seems to get better, the latest development being the bomber flying I have been able to do this year, and I got a FAST card a month or so ago in the T-6 (which also covers T-28). Unbelievable fun.

Thanks for prompting a little walk down memory lane! For me it all goes back to a job towing banners in Super Cubs. Getting the tailwheel time meant everything for my situation. I tried to hang around the local CAF outfit when I was a lowly gas pumper and those clowns wouldn't give me the time of day. It was clear that I was in their way. Your mileage may vary, especially if you can write them a check.

Having an actual flying museum on the field to become active with can be a great opportunity. Become a fixture around the place and make your intentions known. At the end of the day there just isn't a large flock of people falling in line to replace the older guys in the warbird community and The airplanes will still need to be flown for the foreseeable future.....

Latest resources

Back