• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Buying a Plane for Training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sure, if you can afford to pay for multi-engine flying from thereon in. Around my area, a multi costs about $220 per hour to rent. That's a lot of clams to build time with considering in the eyes of the FAA and airlines, an hour is an hour is an hour. They do want multi time but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone with more multi hours than single hours prior to working for a regional.

As far as weight is concerned, I wouldn't worry too much. A 150 looks small but it's got enough there for two 200 lb. people plus fuel load. A 172 does help since you can carry more weight and fuel.

No one hiring is gonna say "you've only been flying a 150, but if you had been flying a 172 all this time, well, I'd hire you." Remember that you are building time, not trying to get somewhere in a hurry. Who cares if you only go 90mph. Would you rather spend 200 bucks to fly 8 hours (in your own 150) or spend $800 bucks renting for the same amount of flight time(in some 182, that cost $100 bucks an hour, if you can get one for that). Do the math, it makes sense to own your own. Split your multi with a Safety pilot. If you think that you need "airline" type training, find some local guy who flys for an airline to do some of your training.

Facts:

1965 172
Purchased 4/02 - $38k
Sold 2/05 - $44k

That bird sold for $6500 brand new in 1965 - hows that for appreciation.

Total spent for flight training: Solo-CFII/MEI $23.5k (Includes 30 hrs multi and all instruction)

Find a flight school that will get you all those ratings for less than $50k, and do it in less than a year - NONE will.

You dont have to do it alone. Put the numbers on paper, and show another person at similar stages in their training. Thats what I had to do... it took alot of convincing but the numbers spoke for themselves.

Good luck and PM if you need any more info about specifics.

I'm still trying to understand how this works. Do you buy the plane **before** you begin even your PPL lessons, or wait and rent until you are signed off as solo? How would you go to pick up the plane in another city if you are not solo'd? Flying out there with a CFI and back could get expensive.

Also...how does a total beginner know what they really need in a plane? Sales listings describe a laundry-list of equipment but until you have acquired some knowledge how do you know what equipment to look for, and which brands are better? I wold think that it would be quite difficult for a total zero hour person to make a knowledgeable choice. I'd have to hire an A&P mechanic to go over it?

My suggestion is go take a few lessons and see if you are going to like it first. The answer to all your questions is research my man. Go to Barnes & Nobles and buy some books and magazines. Use the internet. Ask a lot of questions to everyone in aviation that you meet. People who fly will be more than happy to give you guidance and their opinions. Dont sweat the details right now, like how you will get the airplane home, until you find the "right" aircraft for you.

Latest resources

Back