Buy my own type

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RockBass14

Here is a hypathetical. I heard a pilot saying how they regret not getting typed while they where flying a J41 for an east coast carrier. Her reasoning was that she could have logged PIC and thus advanced faster through aviation. Say I get typed in a Saab and go fly for Mesaba. If I'm flying a particular leg of a flight and since i'm typed am I able to log multi-engine PIC Turbine time?

Here is a refference from the UPS website for pilot credentials;

Have a minimum of 1000 hours pilot in command (PIC) hours in fixed-
wing jet and/or fixed-wing multi-engine turboprop Pilot in Command, per FAR 1.1, means the person who:

1. Has final authority and responsibility for the operation and safety of the flight;
  2. Has been designated as the pilot in command before or during the flight;
  3. Holds the appropriate category, class, and type rating, if appropriate, for the conduct of the flight
Fedex's is slightly different. It says;

Note
: PIC for this purpose is defined as Captain/Aircraft Commander of record, not simply the sole manipulator of the controls.

So according to Fedex this wouldnt work, I'd have to be captain left seat flying.

Legally, as a typed pilot though, i can log PIC and count that towards the UPS requirements. Any opinions?

I think they both are clear, you need to be the captain. Just because you are typed doesn't mean you get to be PIC when you are flying. For each flight there's a PIC and a SIC. If you are the FO, you get to be SIC, even if you are typed.

The PIC is the person who has signed for the aircraft and has the final say over the operation of the aircraft and the crew. Captain, period.

(unless they are incapacitated, then you might have an argument)

also keep in mind that the aircraft is certified for a two person crew, not two PICs.

Last edited:
That all being said (and true) I have heard of people interpreting the regs the way they want and logging PIC time while being employed as an FO. Very cheesy (and more than questionable) if you ask me. Hopefully interviewers will be able to figure it out.

Say I get typed in a Saab and go fly for Mesaba. If I'm flying a particular leg of a flight and since i'm typed am I able to log multi-engine PIC Turbine time?

NO! Under Part 121, there is only one Captain (PIC).

If it wasn't a 121 carrier then you can, while operating part 91, log certain time as PIC even if you aren't designated as the PIC....but when you interview for a carrier with such requirements as you stated they will not recognize it.

The regs are specific in stating a difference between acting as PIC and logging PIC flight time. If you are the acting PIC, you are logging the PIC time in your logbook. If you are appropriately rated in the aircraft you are flying and you are the sole manipulator of the controls, then you are loggin PIC flight time in your logbook, as well.

However, in my experience, and the experience of many others, most airlines' minimum requirements, in reference to PIC time, is the time you have been ACTING as PIC - appropriately rated, lined-checked, and signing for the airplane.

At the airlines, you're not the PIC unless you signed for the airplane. You can't log PIC in the right seat without the consent of the 'real' PIC in the left seat, which is not possible at the airlines because there is documented paperwork for every flight stating the name of the PIC. There has to be an SIC in a two pilot aircraft, and at the airlines, if you're in the right seat, you're it.

Besides, no employer would buy off on that anyway. At the airlines, if you're sitting in the right seat, you're SIC. Any employer that you claim otherwise to in an interview will call bull$hit.

If I were you Id be concerned that Fedex or UPS figures out that you are cutting corners....Im sure it wouldnt be hard for them to figure out...and who wants to hire pilots that cut corners?

EDIT: Oh man is that last question going to bring flame.

Check out Southwest application. They allow the logging of PIC if you are rated and flying the aircraft. Not per PART 1. UPS/FedEx use per PART 1.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back