Busted checkrides?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

RichardRambone

Hey all. I have busted two checkrides over the years of my training and I'm just curious to know if any future employer really cares. I know why I busted and I've learned from those busts which in retrospect were ridiculous for me to bust. Has an employer ever asked if you've busted during an interview and is their a way for them to check? I really don't think it matters but I'd like to hear anyone else's experience.

Sounds like your current answer will be a good answer..

Did you make a mistake? Yes...
Did you learn from that mistake? Yes..

Good. :)

Or atleast that is what I've always been told..

RichardRambone said:
Has an employer ever asked if you've busted during an interview and is their a way for them to check? I really don't think it matters but I'd like to hear anyone else's experience.

Yes, employers ask about it on interviews and yes, there is a way for them to check (PRIA). However, it is not a deal-breaker unless you say no and they find out otherwise or unless there is a pattern of poor performance.

Knowing what you did wrong, accepting it, learning from it and being able to show a successful training record since should be enough to offset the prior failures.

It's not a deal breaker, be honest.

RichardRambone said:
Hey all. I have busted two checkrides over the years of my training and I'm just curious to know if any future employer really cares. I know why I busted and I've learned from those busts which in retrospect were ridiculous for me to bust. Has an employer ever asked if you've busted during an interview and is their a way for them to check? I really don't think it matters but I'd like to hear anyone else's experience.
It's not a deal breaker, but 2 pink slips in only 700 hours? Busting a couple of checkrides over say 10,000 hours is about par for the course, but with 700 hours let's hope you don't get any more.

Let's be a little more specific

If you're new to the airlines (first job) and the only checkrides you've busted were (let's say) the instrument and the CFI (probably the two most difficult) and you're forthright and honest about it in the interview it's probably not a big deal.

Although, all things being equal, they'd probably take the guy with no busts on his record.

But later on down the line, you know, after three furloughs and five different jobs....what they're *really* interested in is your history in a 121 training environment.

That said, even if you bust your initial type ride it doesn't look quite so bad as if you bust a *recurrent* checkride.

Almost everyone can understand busting an initial type ride. You may have just had your head up and lock that day. But by the time you've got some experience in the airplane you really oughta know what you're doing and your preparation really should've been good enough that you were ready for the checkride.

Good luck.

I have a couple buddies that have busted every thing from private to MEI and had no problems in interviews. Like everyone else is saying, be honest, don't blame it on anyone but yourself and know how you learned from it and you will be fine.

Latest resources

Back