Busted Adiz again??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bandit110 said:
2 If he was going from Delaware to Ohio in a King Air with todays weather why wasn't he IFR?

I'm curious - where did you read that he was VFR?

bigD said:
I'm curious - where did you read that he was VFR?

Whatever this means...the media could have it wrong.
Bracken said the pilot wrote a flight plan but did not file it with federal officials.

We left HEF (supposed to go to IAD yesterday but we weren't going to wait out a 2hr ground stop!) today for CMI around 12:30. Part of our brief was the mention that we're in the ADIZ, DC is just East of us. Let's not go that way if we don't have to. Confirm the "reply" light comes on when we turn the transponder on.
Basically, it was just a reminder (like we needed it) about where we were operating and to not do anything stupid.

Ah thanks Illini - I only read what was quoted. Should have done some more digging before I posted.

Were there thunder storms in the area? He may have been deviating around weather and inadvertently flew through the DC ADIZ.

gkrangers said:
Well...in a straightline...I'm pretty sure Delaware to Ohio = going through the ADIZ.
If the media reports are correct, they were going from Wilmington, DE to Defiance, OH.
KILG..KDFI takes you well north of the ADIZ

Greg

I don't know if the kingair had passengers on board or not. It is possible there were passengers who pressured the pilots into not waiting for a ground stop to go anyway and the pilots couldn't get any higher. The other problem is that you can't fly over top the ADIZ vfr because the ADIZ goes up to 18,000 right up to class A airspace. So possibly trying to please impatient passengers and getting painted into a corner by weather and TFR airspace, one can easily see how the ADIZ can be violated.

The possibility of launching VFR into weather that may have to be deviated around and a ADIZ violation will not look good for the pilot. I see a careless and wreckless violation coming. On a side note, if the passengers were pressuring the pilot to not wait for a groundstop because they had to get to Ohio did they get there in time anyway? No, the plane was forced to land in Winchester VA and I am certain they were detained while an investigation was completed. This all is speculation on my part, but it would explain why a professional crew would allow themselves to be painted into a corner. Passenger pressure has killed many, look no further than the accident in Aspen.

transpondersoff,
Pax pressure has killed before. Why haven't professional crews learned to just say "no." Remember, learn from other's mistakes b/c you won't live long enough to make them all yourself. IF what you are suggesting is what happened, the crew had other options. They should have re-evaluated once they made the decision to launch VFR. They should have noted the ADIZ location and said, OK, we will go North, around the ADIZ before turning East. Wait, there is wx to the north, ok, I guess we can't do that. "Sorry pax, we're just going to have to wait out the wx, the situation is as follows, t-storms to the north, ADIZ (which we're not allowed to fly in) to the east and south.
When will people stop letting their pax govern how, when, and where they fly?! How many more people have to be injured, violated, killed, etc before we, as pilots, see the light?

I don't get it

transpondersoff said:
So possibly trying to please impatient passengers and getting painted into a corner by weather and TFR airspace, one can easily see how the ADIZ can be violated.
Fine, a reasonable scenario. But regardless of the reason, this brings up a question I had following the last ADIZ bust. Why do so many pilots seem to not use VFR Advisories (flight following)? I talk-and-squawk on almost every VFR flight. It's a no-brainer, especially in areas with complex airspace. It gives me:

* Extra set of eyes watching for traffic - yes, I know traffic avoidance is still MY responsibility and it's on a controller workload-permitting basis.

* Quick communications in an emergency. They already know who I am, where I am and where I'm going. Gives the SAR guys a pretty good idea where to start looking.

* Can usually get a quick IFR clearance if the WX turns to crap.

* Might just get a timely warning before I violate some airspace.

So, what's the down side? What's a good reason not to use this service?

Latest resources

Back