• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigr

Tuesday, July 23, 2002

White House Rethinks Opposition to Armed Pilots

The Bush administration is reconsidering its opposition to letting airline pilots carry guns, Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta told the House Transportation aviation subcommittee today.

Afterward, spokesman Chet Lunner said Mineta was not responding to congressional pressure to arm pilots, but simply asking the new head of the Transportation Security Administration, retired Coast Guard Adm. James Loy, to review an old policy.

"The secretary expects Admiral Loy, with a new set of eyes, to take a look at everything we're doing," Lunner said.

The Associated Press reported: "Loy's predecessor, John Magaw, announced in May that he would not arm pilots, though he continued to study whether to allow flight crews to carry stun guns. Mineta said Loy will look into arming pilots with guns or non-lethal weapons."

Pilots unions, supported by gun rights groups, want Congress to overrule the TSA. The House earlier this month voted 310-113 to let commercial pilots carry guns.

"We're very happy to hear that Secretary Mineta and Admiral Loy will be taking a fresh view with an open mind on this subject," said John Mazor, a spokesman for Air Line Pilots Association.

A Senate sponsor of legislation to let pilots be armed, Montana Republican Conrad Burns, also praised the announcement.

"Right now, the only armed pilots in America are flying F-16s," Burns said. "Secretary Mineta's comments signal his agency's recognition that American missiles shooting down American planes cannot be our government's answer to hijackings."

I for one think arming pilots is a good idea. They shouldn't be running around the cabin shooting people, but it's a good deterant to know the pilots might be packing heat. But then again, maybe I just want to carry a gun when I make it to the flight deck...:D

Hi!

No one in the media is talking about this:

Pilots used to carry guns in the cockpit, and were allowed to do so by the FAA until they changed their regulations (around 1980???).

As far as I know, not a single person was killed or injured, and no shots were fired. The pilots carried loaded guns on their person in the aircraft and all through the airports.

Cliff
GRB

How about a M-61A1 Gatling gun rolled into the door and mounted in front of the cockpit before push back? Of course there might be pressurization problems but there is already provision for that right? This would be great for those who might carry a firearm but really not know how to use it. Lots of rounds etc. If you will notice on all these cop shows that now monopolize the television the policeman generally squeals like a pig when someone pulls a gun and looks at the ground etc. only not getting shot out of pure luck. Then when they get their composure they draw their weapon. This is somewhat scary in the sense that they are supposed to be prepared to be in a combat situation. I guess you could argue that an ex-military pilot might respond differently but while I'm in favor of carrying guns I'm also in favor of a LOT of training to go with them.

RT

atpcliff said:
Hi!

No one in the media is talking about this:

Pilots used to carry guns in the cockpit, and were allowed to do so by the FAA until they changed their regulations (around 1980???).

As far as I know, not a single person was killed or injured, and no shots were fired. The pilots carried loaded guns on their person in the aircraft and all through the airports.

Cliff
GRB

You are right.

Also there was a good article in one of the flying rags about that UAL DC-6 7 or 8 (I forget which) skipper who popped that teen who hijacked his plane out of Chicago back in the 60’s or 70’s.

The whole article was about how the skipper dealt with the emotional trauma of killing someone who was just still a kid.

The media is just a bunch of liberals who have their own agenda and want to see the guns taken away from law abiding citizens and part of that involves the refusal to admit that a gun has a purpose in non LEO, civilian hands and that purpose is self defense.

Just look at their obvious refusal to air any news story where Joe average uses a gun to defend his home or to stop a mad man from taking an innocent life, but these same idiots will run like heck to the scene of a school shooting and fill the airways with unsubstantiated crap which usually has to be corrected later as the facts come out.

I don’t know how many times I’ve watched CNN rush a story about a shooting, saying the gunman is a deranged white supremacy nazi who just hosed down a bus load of nuns with an A-10 he bought using the gun show loop hole, only to have it turn out to be a dug deal gone bad and some dopers exchanged rounds on a street corner in he lower Bronx and the only casualties were each other.

There all a bunch of jerks.

changed my mind

I used to think pilots carying was a great idea and allthough 99 percent of pilots would handle it well I have talked to a few who scare me. One said he would use a gun to subdue a drunk in first class and others sound straight out of the old west. I have had guns since I was 10 years old and am by no way a liberal but i'm thinkin a lot about this one. Personnally I would rather have that 300 pound guy standing next to the stage at the local strip club he's a deterant. He can stand out side my cockpit door and i'll worry about flying.

The pilots that used to be armed with handguns "back in the day" were armed for entirely different reasons than what we are looking at today. They were armed to protect US Mail. Obviously the mail isn't as important anymore or Muslim Extremists are not trying to steal our mail... You think they might just be trying to kill us?! There are going to be "cowboys" in any situation. We can eliminate the "cowboy" threat by having very defined, narrow parameters about when a use of lethal force is allowed. I am POSITIVE subdueing a drunk in 1st class with a gun is not going to be allowed per our manuals. Thanks for the laugh.:rolleyes:

I say arm 'em...

And after some asshole gets his head blown off on a flight, there will be a lot less people thinking about rushing the cockpit door!!!

Arm Em ???

First I think all Heavy's should have three man crews with Proffesional Flight Engineers. If you arm the Pilots they would probably shoot each other. Best to arm the FE and he can get the Bad guy at the door or either Pilot if he's really screwing up or is simply an A-Hole. Do ya know the difference between a Flight Engineer and a Stage Coach driver ?

Has anyone seriously considered what would happen if a hijacker was able to get hold of the gun from two whimpy pilots?? Sure, it might be a messy fight getting the gun, but if they were able to succeed, they would have their weapon of control compliments of the FAA. There are a large number of police officers killed by their own weapons (and they aren't trying to fly a plane wearing a seatbelt). I believe that secure cockpit doors and unusual attitudes are the best deterrants. Just my $0.02...............

Latest resources

Back