Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dav8tor

White House has no plans to intervene at Northwest

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Bush does not plan to use the route available to him to avert a possible strike by mechanics at Northwest Airlines that could begin as soon as this weekend, the White House said Monday.
A 30-day cooling-off period that mediators declared between Northwest and its mechanics ends at 12:01 a.m. ET Saturday. If no agreement is reached beforehand, a strike could then begin or the airline could lock out the mechanics.

Bush can appoint a presidential emergency board, in a move that would put either action on hold until the panel examines the dispute. The president used that option in the spring of 2001 when Northwest mechanics came within days of striking.

But White House spokesman Trent Duffy said no such move is expected from Bush this time.

"Last month, the National Mediation Board found that a labor action at Northwest Airlines would not present a substantial disruption of interstate commerce," Duffy said. "The administration does not dispute this conclusion based on current information, and the president is not creating a Presidential Emergency Board."

Northwest wants $1.1 billion in cuts from its unions in hopes of avoiding bankruptcy.

But the airline lost more money in its last quarter alone than it proposes to save from mechanics each year. It faces hundreds of millions of dollars in pension payments next year. And jet fuel remains stubbornly expensive.

The union says the airline's proposed cuts are unacceptable.

Didn't Clinton also say he had no plans to interfear with the AA stike back in '96 (maybe it was '97). But low and behold that strike last for about 30 secs before the el presidente stepped in.

When AMFA was negotiating in 2001 and had the upper hand, Bush said he would step in if there was a strike. In 2005 NWA management has the upper hand and wants an AMFA strike so Bush says he will not step in with a PEB.

It is pretty much whatever Steenland wants since Bush and Lorenzo are friends and most of NWA management are Ex texas air and ex eastern aka Lorenzo's boyz

Wow!

When AMFA was negotiating in 2001 and had the upper hand, Bush said he would step in if there was a strike. In 2005 NWA management has the upper hand and wants an AMFA strike so Bush says he will not step in with a PEB.

Well, No spin there! But I guess it serves your purpose.
What a tool.

If NWA didn't have replacement workers lined up Bush would be stepping in. Bush is no friend of labor and he's happy to help NWA bust a union or two. Bush Sr. wasn't much help to EAL pilots during the Lorenzo fiasco. Keep in mind that Frankie L is a close friend and six figure campaign contributor. I've heard that he is advising "W" on airline issues.

Don't blame me. I voted for Jimmy Buffett.
Put a real pirate in office.

tired pilot,

Do you really think that the president of the United States can just "go on vacation" for 5 weeks? I'm pretty sure he is still handling quite a bit but just with a change of scenery.

Bush on vacation

My point with that thread was its unbeliveable the arrogance of Mr. Bush to take a five week vacation when we're at war, gas prices are spiraling out of control and we have a serious immigration problem just to name a few. Bush's "vacation" is a slap in the face to every hard working American and soldier at war right now.

I realize that Mr. Bush can do almost if not everything in Texas that he could do in Washington, I realize he has one of the most stressful jobs in the world. Why didnt he just tell the American public, "I'm going to work at home for a while", or take 2 weeks here and two weeks there. But annoucing a five week vacation in the middle of the summer under current circumstances in my opinion is just plain arrogance. How many Americans can take five weeks off, and this by no means is his only vacation this year.

Its just another example of the two class society thats taking place in the United States. We as pilots see this everyday, as our profession contines to be dumbed down on a monthly basis.

Latest resources

Back