Bumming

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

brettudy

I'm a CFI/II working on my MEI up at Utah State in Logan, Ut. I'm interested in bumming in the northern Utah area this summer to build some time. I'm new to this, so I was wondering if you have any tips on how to start out. I appreciate your help!

brettudy said:
I'm a CFI/II working on my MEI up at Utah State in Logan, Ut. I'm interested in bumming in the northern Utah area this summer to build some time. I'm new to this, so I was wondering if you have any tips on how to start out. I appreciate your help!

I have been in this industry for 18 years and never heard of "bumming" before. What exactly are you trying to accomplish and will you have a line item on your resume for "bumming?"

From what I understand, bumming is a way to ride along and log the time. I had never heard it before reading some recent posts. However, MarineGrunt told me that it's a term used by military pilots when they fly on their days off, and civilians are unable to do it.

Do you mean guard bumming? If so, it's a guard guy who doesn't have a full-time job, so he "bums" by picking up days, TP's, RUTA's, etc. Long story short, if you don't fly for the guard you can't do it. Outside of that, I have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are talking about riding on 91 legs, then you need to find a frieght/charter company that has the available legs. Usually they will not let you ride unless you are an employee or you have jump seat bennies.

Latest resources

Back