Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Joshrk22

Sierra Hotel
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself as I'm only a student pilot, but this is for those aircraft owners out there. I'm getting my PPL soon and I will only be 17. I can't get my Comm and CFI until I'm 18, plus I'd need 250 hours. To build the time, how do aircraft owners, like GA pilots, feel about a young 17 year-old flying with them and logging the PIC time? Would I be able to hand out flyers or go around asking them to fly with them?

It sucks to work a whole week to only log 2 hours a week. I figured I could fly with these GA pilots and log the PIC time. Would I need to get checked out by an instructor for each new type of aircraft? I thought that was only class of aircraft that you had to fly with an instructor to get checked out on.

Any other time building ideas?

Joshrk22 said:
Would I need to get checked out by an instructor for each new type of aircraft? I thought that was only class of aircraft that you had to fly with an instructor to get checked out on.

That only goes for the flight school. You can log PIC in any
airplane of the type (SEL) assuming you have the proper signoff
(like complex and/or high performance).

Consider buying a plane with the MoGas conversion.

Good luck building time.

CE

Joshrk22 said:
Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself as I'm only a student pilot, but this is for those aircraft owners out there. I'm getting my PPL soon and I will only be 17. I can't get my Comm and CFI until I'm 18, plus I'd need 250 hours. To build the time, how do aircraft owners, like GA pilots, feel about a young 17 year-old flying with them and logging the PIC time? Would I be able to hand out flyers or go around asking them to fly with them?

It sucks to work a whole week to only log 2 hours a week. I figured I could fly with these GA pilots and log the PIC time. Would I need to get checked out by an instructor for each new type of aircraft? I thought that was only class of aircraft that you had to fly with an instructor to get checked out on.

get your instrument rating, thats should build you another 60-75 hours. beside building hours it will make you a better pilot.

Find three other friends and go in on a C-172 or equivelant that is IFR equipped. A good time builder and cheap airplane to get your Instrument and build some initial time. You can find them for about $40K.

I'm kind of in the same boat as you, but I will have my PPL and Instrument on my 17th, roughly 130-140 hours logged. Now here is what I plan to do and what you can do. Start commerical single, multi, and instrument training, and doing that should get you to the 250 hour mark.

Make friends with a Doctor/pilot who wants to split the bill. There's a lot who don't care so much about logging time as they do about reducing the cost of their flights.

I cannot tell you what to do but I can tell you what I did. I went and purchased an IFR Cessna 150 (Paid Cash) after my private operating costs were about $30.00 an hour hooked up with a few people that wanted to build time $15.00 ea and one person was always a safety pilot the other was under the hood.

Latest resources

Back