Building Time!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mcooper said:
You're tired? I'm tired of reading self righteous posts from a-holes like you, making comments about stuff you weren't asked about!
Gotta go with you on this one, Mr. Cooper. I chased the dream pretty hard up until about October, 2001. Have pretty well laid off, just flying my own equipment for fun and doing some freelance cfi work in my spare time.

Flying's something I've wanted to do as long as I can remember. Very well-meaning parents steered me to my nice, yet unfilfilling professional desk job. "Airlines are too volitile." "No job security." It's all true. But I wish I'd committed full bore when I was younger and didn't have kids.

I've read some posts on other parts of this board that seemed a little miffed at the presence of career changers. IMO, any objection to a career changer's presence is just plain ol' discomfort with the competition.

The rub also comes from the fact that a lot of us have money to spend on things like PFT and paying to build time (rent or buying). IMVHO, a lot of the PFT objection doesn't come from people skewing the system spending money for time. It's just plain old jealousy of these people having the money to spend on the flying.

Last - I'll put my 30-something plus flying skills up against any one of you punks any day of the week! Age plays little difference in flight below mach 1, and <7-g's. :cool:

Check out ALL ATPs...you already have your PPL. You'll get your ratings fast, probably before most regionals are hiring again...however, you'll have a $hit load of multi-time when you are done.

There are guys all over the place from ATP, and they have a good reputation. Just do what is expected of you as a student and instructor.

As far as the family is concerened, make sure you have there full and unconditional support, because it is not an easy route to take.

Good luck.

Oh, and as far as pay to the instructors, you get a monthly salary, so no worrying about how many hours you actually work, and your students are hand delivered to you.

Last edited:
Re: Hired at Great Lakes without mulit time?

ClassG said:
It may have happened, but I've never heard of it. EVERYONE I knew there was hired with AT LEAST 100 multi time. The better your training (eg., UND Graduate), the less you needed. But no one I ever talked to was hired with less than 100 MEL.

But the sad truth is that that company will probably never go anywhere while the rest of the industry (regional) seems to thrive - EVEN with Ratheon running the show now.

Out motto: Great Lakes - Flying yesterday's aircraft into tommorow! It'll never change.

All that said, you can't pay enough (PFT pun intended) to get the kind of professional and life experience you get at Lakes in a year or two. To me, it was well worth it.

I'd do it again. Sometimes I wish I had never left there.

Wait, sign me up. How do I apply? I have 550TT, 400 ME, I am MEI, what else do I need? Someone PM me please.
Thanks

You have alright multi time, but . . . .

sky37d said:
Wait, sign me up. How do I apply? I have 550TT, 400 ME, I am MEI, what else do I need? Someone PM me please.
Thanks
. . . you need more total time. Unusual; most people usually need multi.

Hopefully you won't suffer a penalty for your Skymaster (centerline thrust) time.

Although I gather that Lakes hires at less than the usual mins, these days you need at least the usual mins and then some to be competitive. I.e., at least 1500 total, at least 500 multi, with your ATP being very desirable.

I like how you built the 400 multi early. No worries there, though, as I wrote above, you could stand another hundred more.

Re: You have alright multi time, but . . . .

bobbysamd said:
. . . you need more total time. Unusual; most people usually need multi.

Although I gather that Lakes hires at less than the usual mins, these days you need at least the usual mins and then some to be competitive. I.e., at least 1500 total, at least 500 multi, with your ATP being very desirable.

I like how you built the 400 multi early. No worries there, though, as I wrote above, you could stand another hundred more.

Ah, alas, it won't happen. At age 57 (2 days ago), ATP is not a happening thing. Oh, well. 337 time is all ME, since I am conventional (SBS Twin) ME and MEI.

Latest resources

Back