Building Time Period

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

asolo

Flying is a bit slow here in the south due to weather and was wondering if I could get some time building ideas from people. I am more than willing to fly for free on any airplane. However, I am wondering the best way to approach people to ask and see if they would like someone to fly with. Some other instructors who are natives to this area know people and are able to bum flights here and there. What do I do, just go up and ask them if they need someone? Put a poster up in the FBO? Thanks in advance.
Blue Skies

asolo said:
Flying is a bit slow here in the south due to weather and was wondering if I could get some time building ideas from people. I am more than willing to fly for free on any airplane. However, I am wondering the best way to approach people to ask and see if they would like someone to fly with. Some other instructors who are natives to this area know people and are able to bum flights here and there. What do I do, just go up and ask them if they need someone? Put a poster up in the FBO? Thanks in advance.
Blue Skies

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE.... Do NOT fly anything for free, you only make it harder for the rest of the Professionals out there trying to earn a living...

You earned (and paid for) your certificates and ratings... If someone can afford to own and operate an airplane, they can afford to pay you to fly it!

You don't see other professions working for free, neither should pilots!

Good Luck!

Flying for free was going to be my next post. I had a conversation w/ a fellow instructor and he said the same thing you did. Now I understand and won't do it. Thanks:)

Build experience, not hours. Experience is priceless, but you can pencil in hours. Forget the hours; build experience. Hours can be faked; there is no substitute for experience. Make every hour you fly count; look more to the quality of the flight time than the number of hours.

With the experience level you've posted, you can apply for a FAR 135 VFR job, and go from there. Or banner towing, or traffic watch, or any number of other entry type jobs. Flight instruct, if it's something you think you can love (it's enjoyable), don't do it if you don't enjoy working with people, and don't do it to build hours. Buy a small experimental airplane and fly it until the wings wear away. Fly with Civil Air Patrol. Do local scenic flights.

There are always options to fly. Whatever you do, go for the experience instead of the hours. Those come in due course. Good luck!!

Asolo,

This may not be your most desirable thing to do, but I've known alot of pilots that worked the ramps and offices of some pretty good charter operators and after some time they were trained and flying. By doing this these guys bypassed teaching completly and are now flying jets for those same companys. Not to say that teaching is not good, The four years that I tought was the best experiance I could have had, but if I could have bypassed it I would have. Just a thought for ya and if your as far south as Fort Lauderdale I can give you the name of at least one company I know for a fact that hires their ramp guys.

Like the previous posters say go for the experiance and never do anything for free.

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back