Building SE time and skipping COMM SE checkride for COMM ME checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

VADriver

Currently have a guy with PVT SE ratings... working towards Commerical certificate....

Looking for leads on building SE time... banner towing, pipe/powerline patrol, air tours... for Commerical requirements... then taking the Comm ME checkride. License would then read

Private Single Engine Land
Commerical Multi Engine Land

Any ideas on where to build time and then train for Comm ME checkride?

Thanks....

my understanding is there are operations that like banner towing or sight seeing... dep/arrive same airport that don't require a commercial license....

Or.... let me rephrase....

How does one build time towards comm requirements aside from paying for each hour by renting, etc....

Finally.... once someone has a the commercial requirements, can't s/he skip the SE checkride and just training for and take the COMM ME checkride.. say at a school like ALL ATPS?

Just looking for up to date information as I've been out of that realm for over a decade...

Someone can skip the SE and just do a Comm ME if they want. FAR 61.113 spells out what he can and can't do. Basically he can't do any forms of banner towing or sight seeing either. If he wants free flight time he will need to earn it somehow. Washing airplanes etc etc if he really want's to get flight time without paying for it he will need to get his CFI and then he can actually get paid.

Currently have a guy with PVT SE ratings... working towards Commerical certificate....

Looking for leads on building SE time... banner towing, pipe/powerline patrol, air tours... for Commerical requirements... then taking the Comm ME checkride. License would then read

Private Single Engine Land
Commerical Multi Engine Land

Any ideas on where to build time and then train for Comm ME checkride?

Thanks....

I think the better question is what is he going to do with that pretty certificate since it will be pretty much worthless? He will only be eligible for a Multi Instructor cert. So now he has maybe 260 hours, no commercial single, no CFI, No Experience. NO way to get paid while building flight time. Options? Continue to pay for his own flight time? No one is going to offer him a job. I think the 2 of you aren't thinking this through, unless he plans on going military. But then I'd ask why he's wasting his money at all...

my understanding is there are operations that like banner towing or sight seeing... dep/arrive same airport that don't require a commercial license....

Faulty understanding. There are operations which don't require an *operating* certificate (121,125,135 certificates) But there are no operations where you can be employed as a pilot without a commercial *pilot* certificate. That's kinda *the* important distinction between an private certificate and a commercial certificate. Perhaps you should review Part 61 before advising someone who is doing flight training.

How does one build time towards comm requirements aside from paying for each hour by renting, etc....

Same way everyone else does: buying a plane, having a rich uncle with a plane, trading sex for flight time........oh yeah, and renting.

Finally.... once someone has a the commercial requirements, can't s/he skip the SE checkride and just training for and take the COMM ME checkride.. say at a school like ALL ATPS?

Sure, you *could*. for that matter you *could* do all of your flight training in a twin, right from the very first lesson. Perhaps a better question than *could* you? is; *should* you?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back