• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

building multi time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What the hell good is SIC time in a king air gonna do ya?

The few times I got pressed into pilot services in Part 91 turbine operations, I never even bothered to log it. It was a break from flying 135 in piston twins and I had no responsibilities except to show up and it paid the same...400 bucks a month base, 150 bucks a day, plus expenses and benefits.

Last edited:
It might help get your foot in the door at that operator or it might not. Who's to say.

I know a guy right now that got his ratings all done by dad. After the guy got his multi commercial instrument, dad let him ride shot gun in the King Air B-100. He did get to fly some of the empty legs as PIC. When the corporation sold the plane and dad lost the job, the guy had take a position riding with some rich new pilot in his King Air 300. He never gets to fly that plane. I tried to get him a job with us flying 135 Feeder Operations in Caravans way back when we were looking and management told me they weren't interested. He was offered a position flying Aztecs and Senica's at the place where I flew 135 and 91 pilot services, but he was not willing to take on the job, even though it paid well...I believe he was afraid to do it. Flying winter time, on demand piston operations in the Great Lakes area can be demanding.

I'm not saying it will never do you any good at all...but the only time it would seem to me to be important, is if you are getting PAID for it.

In all honesty...it would take forever to build 500 hours logging empty legs in passenger charters. Most 135 passenger operations are there and back. You might get lucky on the short repo flights, but in most cases that I saw that opportunity, it was a tenth or two at a time.

Last edited:
Building multi time

I guess I should ask an obvious question. Can you ride in your boss' Kingair and fly it on 91 legs? That would be a start.

Do get your MEI. That way you have a tangible credential that you can market. I realize that finding MEI work is tough right now. For that matter, so is finding other work.

Don't stop with your MEI. Shop yourself around to other operators. If you can have a chance to ride in a B90 Kingair and fly it in non-135 operations you can log that time legally. However, as others suggested, be sure you know something about the airplane in case you're asked about it at an interview.

The bottom line, though, is what the others have suggested. What good does Kingair SIC do you when PIC is what you need? Unless it is the situation in which you can serve as PIC when you're flying.

Good luck with your efforts.

Latest resources

Back