• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

skychaser

Anyone know of a good, cheap (I know it's
an oxymoron) place to build Multi time?

Well, there are a few ways I can think of:

First of, what do you consider cheap? I know ATP (www.allatps.com) has a a multi-engine time building program - I think it's like 90 hours for $13000 (a bit expensive though).

Another way is to be an airport bumb. I got my pilots license about 2 1/2 years ago and I was always hanging out at the airport. I have met some wonderful people just from hanging out at the airport. I fly in the right seat in a Navajo and I basically act as an FO. The pilot's MEI expired and he never renewed it so I can't log it anymore but I tell you what, it's a great learning experience. Even if I can't log the time I still enjoy going up. I have learned so much stuff just from flying with the guy. Anyway, that's besides the point. I think this is the best way to build multi-engine time. My best friend has got 700 hours of multi-engine (mostly in a Navajo and a C-421) in the past 3 years because he met people at the airport.

Anyway, hope I helped in any way.

Building multi time

:D

Hey, have I got a deal for you! How would you like to build LEGAL multi time and get paid while you do it? No P-F-T required! Sound too good to be true???

Go get your MEI and instruct. Not only will you get paid, you'll learn a lot in the process. And the commuters will like your CFI credential.

Seriously, get your CFI and find out from where you obtain it if you can be hired after you finish.

Lots of luck with your career.

split it

Another idea is to find someone to split time with, one under the hood and the other safety pilot. I had a few friends work 50 hour block time deals and fly across the country and back for $50/hr each.

Scott

Thank you all for your suggestions. As for "Alaska", when you grow up, you will realize that your way is not always the best way.

Grrrr, Alaska.

I grow weary of the notion that any pilot that is not a CFI hasn't "paid his dues" or is lazy or is whatever the tone of your post was. While I am suspicious of those that try to short circuit the process, not all of us can be CFI's, II's, or MEI's.

I work seven days a week. Five days in my corporate job and two days as a jump pilot. I chose not to go the CFI route because of family and income considerations. Working as a jump pilot allows me to build my PIC time and still provide what my family needs by keeping my weekday job. Does this mean I'm not paying my dues or need to be a CFI "like the rest of us?" I feel like I am paying my dues and doing the right thing when I'm taking off for the 15th time that day and I've been flying for the last 8 hours.

You know what? I buy my multi time. There have been many weeknights where I've found myself in a Baron over West Texas at 1:00 a.m. after putting in 10 hours of work that day at the office. Oh, I do love that flying.

There, I feel better. Time for lunch.

101 ways to get it...

There are many ways to build time and a lot of it depends on you, your airport and being in the right place at the right time.
-Hanging out at the airport is a great way to meet people and network. Networking is the key to this industry.
-Make sure you are hanging our at a larger airport. The more twins that are there, the better chance you have of flying one.
-Make friends with everyone. The more people you know the more connections you'll get. I got into the left seat of a Lear 25 (at 800 hours) by way of a friend and into a permanent seat of a C-414 from another friend.
-Get a CFII, if you have a CFII and better yet an MEI, it's easier to meet people and as you give BFR's and IPC's etc. people begin to trust you and you'd be suprised how many people will hand you keys to their plane.

And if all else fails, find a friend who's multi qulaified and split some block time with them. You can maximize that time by flying night Cross countries under the hood, each of you flys left seat for a leg. The benefit of this is you both can legally log PIC, night and on your leg you log sim instrument time. All of these things are great for a newer log book. Also having another pilot starts to teach you to work in a crew environment and enhances safety. It's also a lot of fun. I did it for 35 hours with a good friend.

Best of luck to ya!

Lazy 8's
:D

Luck

Luck, or lack thereof, and timing, or lack thereof, are keys. You DO have to be in the right place at the right time to have any sort of successful career.

I think so many people suggest instructing because it is the easiest job a low-timer can get. It builds time, it pays (somewhat - some jobs are better than others) and it puts you together with all kinds of pilots. Pilots just like you who are building careers and can network or share information. Other pilots who know people. Other pilots who want you to instruct them in their brand-new, shiny Baron. Not too many places will hire a new multi-engine pilot out of the chute to fly their airplane because of insurance.

Once again, best of luck in your career.

Last edited:
Not everyone can get their time being an MEI. Let's say it takes you 20hrs to get CPL/ME and MEI. You now need another 180 to meet the standard mins now. At 20 hours a student, that's nine ME students. Since ME students are mostly people going pro, who will also want to become MEIs, well, you can see how this won't work. One big pyramid scheme.

Some people will have to buy time, there isn't enough multi students to go around.

Latest resources

Back