building jet time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jjj32

Does anyone know where you can build some jet time. I am 135 qualifed and have a SIC check for a lear 45, but the plane isn't going to be aviable for another year. What I really need is a place to go and get some time behind the yok, as I never flown a jet before, just sim time.:D

I'm not sure what you're looking for, but my best advise would be to get a job somewhere that flies jets. Perhaps if you would tell us why you want this? Turbine pic is turbine pic, whether your props show or not, isn't it? I fly a jet, and it isn't that different, except a bit easier, than a turboprop. What you need is a flying job, and if you have that, just keep trying for a better flying job. Why does it need to be a jet? Trust me, if you can fly a turboprop well, you will have no trouble with a jet. I hope this helps a bit.

Yeah I know, but the job market is staurated that anything is so hard to find right now. Any turbine pic would be good, don't get me wrong but a jet would be better.

You still didn't answer any of my questions. Are you planning to buy some time? You can get a Citation type rating, for about five grand. You won't get much time in the plane, but it will be good training. Are you wanting this to help you get a job? Then any time you can buy would be useless, unless you are very wealthy, and then I would suggest you purchase a jet to fly. Getting a job flying something is way better than just flying it, as you will soon see. I know, I was in your situation not long ago, and I thought of things like you are. However, once you get your first real cargo or regional airline job, you will wonder why you were so worried about a few hours, when you fly something turbine for 50-85 hours a month. I hope this helps you.

I could buy it if i had to but don't want to for obvious reasons. But I would fly for free for a little while. any suggestions????

jjj32 said:
I could buy it if i had to but don't want to for obvious reasons. But I would fly for free for a little while. any suggestions????

I have a suggestion.... DON'T fly for free..... you only hurt the Professionals in the industry....

I understand your concern trying to advance in this difficult time, I was in your shoes back in the early 90's.... Your time will come, just be patient... back then I thought I would never find a job flying a jet (because times were so hard)... now out of my 7,000 hours nearly 4,000 are Jet time.... I haven't paid a penny for any of my Jet time or training for my Type Ratings.... My employers paid 100% of all those costs... be patient....

Good Luck!

Don't fly for free!

In the long run having PIC time even in a C-210 is way more valuable than right seat in some Lear or Hawker. If you have a chance to fly a LR45(one of my personal favorites)I would just get a job flying anything, as PIC, then you will be in a great postion when the LR45 things works out. Flying a jet isn't all that hard, it is all relative.

You won't find many jet jobs willing to take a guy on just because he will fly for free. As most jets require 2 pilots, operators usually HIRE a qualified professional to fly SIC, partly so he can upgrade at some point. There are a few King Air operators that will take someone along in the right seat but those are probably taken these days. We should all get very comfortable with where we are (CFI, regional, cargo, corporate, etc....) because we're going to be here for quite some time. Just wait it out; we all are.

I have to say that when guys say that "flying a jet is easy" or "flying a jet is easier than flying a turboprop" it is very misleading.

One of the first things I realized when I transitioned to a jet from a CE402 is that the basics are learned in the first 100-200 hrs, but it takes quite a bit more than that to develop the 360 degree awareness that is required to operate safely as a PIC, and that things can happen very fast at 8 or 9 miles a minute on an arrival.

Sure, flying something with higher wing loading that is a more stable platform and has a higher degree of automation is "easier" if you are purely a "Yoke and Throttle Operator" who "plans for the best" and is content to rely upon the automation to get the job done.

Fact is, though, that being PIC of a jet requires a certain amount of time, experience, discipline and training, especially in a non-airline environment, where the PIC must do all of the necessary operational/performance planning. Anyone who has operated 91/135 into Central/South America or even into the mountainous areas of the US knows what I am talking about here.

This is no slight to the turboprop pilots that are out there thrashing around in the weather. When they go to the right seat of a jet, it will be easier and more stable to fly, but rest assured, it will have its own challenges.

Signed, a jet pilot who hand flys all his approaches (at least until I got to an airline and have to follow their policy).

I hand fly my 737-800 every chance I get, flying a jet is a lot easier than any prop. airplane, I have 8000 hours in props and over 8000 in jets, only 75 hours of turboprop time. Jets are a lot easier.....in the long run.

Latest resources

Back