Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Motown

Planning a week in Buenos Aires with my son. A few questions:
  1. ZED tickets on AA, CO, DL are all about the same price (slightly different taxes).
    1. Which 767 is the most comfortable, especially for sleeping in coach?
    2. Which, if any is most likely to upgrade a ZED passenger?
  2. Where do AA, CO, DL stay in Buenos Aires?
  3. Any suggestions for cheap hotel rates, either crew hotels or otherwise?
  4. Transportation between airport & hotel?
  5. Activities in the city? Trips elsewhere that are worthwhile? (Somebody mentioned a glacier, penguins, horseback riding... but I haven't researched any of it yet.)
  6. Safety precautions (other than the obvious-- blend in, be quiet, don't flash cash, etc.)?
Thanks.

1. I would say they are equally the same. Except CO has PTV. I am not sure about other carriers, but with CO there is zero chance of upgrade for ZED pax, they don't even upgrade buddy pass riders. Besides the flight is always full, except a few months between June-Sep timeframe there are often open seats in coach.

3. I think you would find hotels cheap enough from the internet such as Priceline, etc etc. I would say that is your best bet. I stayed in a comfortable three star right in the city for less than 80 dollars a night.

4. You have to take a bus to the city as there is no train system from the airport, but it was easy process. About 30 min ride.

5. Most of the nature stuff in Argentina takes a plane ride out of the city. Although Uruguay is just across the river on a high speed boat.

6. Buenos Aires is generally a safe city. I saw many cops hanging out.

1-3...No clue

4- I always take a taxi. Go to the arrivals side and look for someone getting out of the taxi. It is ~50 pesos to get downtown. Only advised if you speak Spanish. Also while in Buenos Aires, ONLY take Radio Taxis. They are yellow and black, but somewhere will say "radio". Do not trust any other taxi.

There is also the option of paying for a Remis. ( I think that is what it is called) After you come through the baggage area there will be booths on both sides with people selling rides. There is one on the left, I think it is VIP, they will charge about 65 pesos but will get you there and the girls generally speak English.

5- Recoleta and Puerto Madera are your best bets for good food. If you like guns there is a gun museum near plaza San Martin that is pretty cool. Florida and Callao are your main shopping streets. Get a good city map, the hotel usually has one. As far as Glciers and Penguins you are looking at a 4 hour plane ride south to Tierra del Fuego.

6- As far as safety, it is a safe town. Just don't stick out. Don't wear your cell phone on your belt, it will get snatched. If you like it, keep it in your pocket. The biggest problems I have ever heard of are petty street crime, usually some kid running by and snatching a wallet or phone that is easy to get.

Planning a week in Buenos Aires with my son. A few questions:
  1. ZED tickets on AA, CO, DL are all about the same price (slightly different taxes).
    1. Which 767 is the most comfortable, especially for sleeping in coach?
    2. Which, if any is most likely to upgrade a ZED passenger?
  2. Where do AA, CO, DL stay in Buenos Aires?
  3. Any suggestions for cheap hotel rates, either crew hotels or otherwise?
  4. Transportation between airport & hotel?
  5. Activities in the city? Trips elsewhere that are worthwhile? (Somebody mentioned a glacier, penguins, horseback riding... but I haven't researched any of it yet.)
  6. Safety precautions (other than the obvious-- blend in, be quiet, don't flash cash, etc.)?
Thanks.

1-I find that UA's 767s are the best since you have a pretty decent chance for an upgrade to Bussines of even First. You even have economy plus and it's nice

2-Don't know for sure but UA stays at HILTON BUENOS AIRES 54- 11-4891-0000.

3-Generally speaking any hotel in the downtown area should be fairly decent

4-Get a ride from EZE from authorized taxis ONLY!!! You can arrange one from one of the stands right before leaving the secure area, just past customs. The options may be Taxi, Remise, or Shuttle Bus (take only "Tienda Leon" shuttles). A taxi/remise should be around 50 pesos (exchange rate is 3.15 average)

5- It depends on how much time you have. Cataratas del Iguazu (Falls) is about an hour flight (you can jumpseat with your ID on a local airline no problem), Bariloche offers skyiing or even in the summer it's nice to go for horseback riding etc, etc. Glaciar Perito Moreno (El Calafate) is amazing and Usuaiah is terrific too. Trelew/Puerto Madryn is nice for whale seeing and penguins (tons of them). Buenos Aires it self is a great, cheap town with lots of stuff to see/eat. Don't miss a second to try a good BBQ and ice cream (best in the world). As far as retaurants you will eat at extremely upscale places for less than 25 dollars per person. Try La Bisteca, Rodizzio, Romario Pizza. Lots of places.

6- Don't go flashing cash like you said. No expensive watch and you will be fine. Lots of night life. It's generally safe and lots of fun.

Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited:
There is a lot of counterfeit money in circulation in Buenos Aires, or at least there was. Be careful with the Radio Taxis especially. I got screwed by one and was told by the hotel concierge that it's very common. A good way to avoid it is to pay with exact change or use small currency. In my case I used a 100 peso bill and got my 72 pesos back in counterfeit cash. Hope this helps and be safe! I had a great time otherwise, beautiful city.

Thanks for all the responses.

UA may have the nicest 767's, but they don't do ZED tickets... I am limited to CO/DL/AA. (I am traveling with my son, so I can't jumpseat.)

One of you says use only Radio taxis, and another says to be leary of the Radio taxis.

I will try the Hilton. Nobody can tell me where AA/CO/DL stay? Feel free to PM me.

I have stayed at the DL crew hotel in Lima for $50 a night, and the CO crew hotel in Quito for $39 a night, so my experience has been to start with the crew hotels and ask for their crew rate.

How much is the high speed boat across to Uruguay? No advance visa required?

Thanks for the tip to jumpseat with my ID on a local airline, but I will be with my son so I don't think that will work.

I would love to chat with someone who knows the area well. If anyone has 20 minutes to spare, PM me your telephone number.

Thanks.

The key with any Taxi use don't use big bills. If you give them 20 pesos and get back a fake 5, no big deal. I never tried to pay with 100's. Small bills are hard to come by. If you want 500 pesos from an ATM, get 480 so that you get some 20's. Also the hotels will break 100's. If not that then go into a bank. I always tried to have enough small bills that I never had to get back more than 5 or so in change.

As far as Taxi's, I can only tell you what I know. If you are going to use a Taxi, use Radio taxis. That is from being down there for several months over the last couple of years and advice from the expats and locals I know. Just don't hand them 100 pesos. I found that most cap rides were ~6 pesos so I just handed them a 5 and 2 and didn't worry about the change.

I will PM with some more info.

Latest resources

Back