• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Brussels (EBBR)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lagos...on par with Bagdhad and Kabul for safety and security. Really not a place you should go if you have a choice.

Echoing others, don't stay at the airport in Brussels. Unlike others, I'll decline to say where I or others with whom I work stay, for reasons of security. Rest assured, there are plenty of good places to stay in town. Staying at the airport puts you far from food and services. Get a taxi, to into Brussels, or Leuven.

If it is for DHL, your hotel will be arranged. In BRU there are many choices, but it is one the most expensive cities in Europe, if not the world. We used to stay at the Crown Plaza on the Rue de la Loi. Some guys liked it, I thought it sucked. 50% of 19.50 Euro breakfast, bar food half price. No pool, gym or other amenities like it. Cold and wet long walk for outside food. I have been at the airport Holiday Inn, nowhere to go, and expensive! Nice pool. Been at the NH hotel and a few others when the regular hotel was sold out for EU business (paid better than crew rates).
Lagos: Sheraton, Protea (close to Sheraton, Gemini stayed there), Eco on Victoria Island (probably the nicest one of the bunch, but useless if you have to travel by night since nobody will take you across the dangerous robbery-prone causeway- N. American stayed there). I have stayed in several of the smaller places in Ikeja near the Sheraton / Protea, and most of us would venture out for food or entertainment, including walks to the Sheraton. Except for two guys falling in manholes without cover, nothing has happened. Another hotel that is very close to the airport is the Welcome Center. It just opened, is not bad, but not a place to walk around, except maybe a mad dash across 4 lanes of Lagos traffic to one of the 3 banks for some Naira's out of the ATM. It has a furniture factory (under a bunch of tarps) next door, a guy that sells dogs in front of the building (no place for puppy-lovers) and an occasional fuel tanker that blows up on the road in front of the gate. Quite a normal occasion there, and if you see the technical state of big rig trucks in Nigeria you will understand. Corruption and rediculously high import fees on new trucks and spare parts have made trucking a safetywire-and-duct-tape business.

I can't believe DHL wants a 767. Their own A300 was too small and lacked the range, then the DC10 was too small (close to MGTOW departures) so there had to be a MD11 and now they want a 767????? Business must be really bad......

Yes, there is a train station under the BRU airport. Quick ride into town. Watch your belongings at BRU Nord (not-so-good neighborhood) and Central (absolute madhouse)

Last edited:
I will second Lueven. Lots to do, plenty to eat, bars, internet, 20 min. drive to the airport.

Leuven

I will second Lueven. Lots to do, plenty to eat, bars, internet, 20 min. drive to the airport.

Another advantage of Leuven. Hometown of Stella Artois and the Brewery. If in Brussels check out the Delerium beer bar, tons on draught. The Belgian beers are the best in the world and the chocolate isn't bad either.

Antwerp is very nice, although I still like Brussels. Think of it as BRU without the majority Moroccan/Turk beggars and thugs!

Thank you to all for your thoughts/suggestions.

Looks like it's going to be the Crown Plaza downtown Brussels, and yes the Sheraton in Nigeria.

If it is for DHL, your hotel will be arranged. In BRU there are many choices, but it is one the most expensive cities in Europe, if not the world. We used to stay at the Crown Plaza on the Rue de la Loi. Some guys liked it, I thought it sucked. 50% of 19.50 Euro breakfast, bar food half price. No pool, gym or other amenities like it. Cold and wet long walk for outside food. I have been at the airport Holiday Inn, nowhere to go, and expensive! Nice pool. Been at the NH hotel and a few others when the regular hotel was sold out for EU business (paid better than crew rates).
Lagos: Sheraton, Protea (close to Sheraton, Gemini stayed there), Eco on Victoria Island (probably the nicest one of the bunch, but useless if you have to travel by night since nobody will take you across the dangerous robbery-prone causeway- N. American stayed there). I have stayed in several of the smaller places in Ikeja near the Sheraton / Protea, and most of us would venture out for food or entertainment, including walks to the Sheraton. Except for two guys falling in manholes without cover, nothing has happened. Another hotel that is very close to the airport is the Welcome Center. It just opened, is not bad, but not a place to walk around, except maybe a mad dash across 4 lanes of Lagos traffic to one of the 3 banks for some Naira's out of the ATM. It has a furniture factory (under a bunch of tarps) next door, a guy that sells dogs in front of the building (no place for puppy-lovers) and an occasional fuel tanker that blows up on the road in front of the gate. Quite a normal occasion there, and if you see the technical state of big rig trucks in Nigeria you will understand. Corruption and rediculously high import fees on new trucks and spare parts have made trucking a safetywire-and-duct-tape business.

I can't believe DHL wants a 767. Their own A300 was too small and lacked the range, then the DC10 was too small (close to MGTOW departures) so there had to be a MD11 and now they want a 767????? Business must be really bad......

Yes, there is a train station under the BRU airport. Quick ride into town. Watch your belongings at BRU Nord (not-so-good neighborhood) and Central (absolute madhouse)

I am not sure DHL wants a 767 but if you have been following the cargo industry at all lately the numbers are far from robust. We (ABX) have been told the switch is because of reliability please do not shoot the messanger! Just passing along what was told to the ABX crews. IMHO, there are alot of deals done just to piss one company or pilot group off just to get what the company wants.

The JV with Lufty is coming to an end; the flying will be done by various airlines which are whole or partially owed by DHL.

The ABX B762SF will take over from World MD-11F on the BRU-LOS run. It in turn will be replaced when the B763F, operated by DHK, comes on-line around August/September time.

ASTAR will do LEJ-JFK for a 3-month+ period with a DC8, until the second DHK B763F comes on-line and takes over. At least, that's the plan right now.

AeroLogic B777F will start doing the LEJ-Far East Asia routes, with stops in different central asian hubs out and back on most routes.

Polar is currently running thrugh LEJ almost every day from the ME, with week-end flights direct to and from HKG. Don't know what's going to happen with those flights.

The ABX and ASTAR aircraft are a bridging solution for specific routes. Will be nice to see them over here while it last, and maybe more in the future when the market picks up again. Current conditions seem to indicate market has bottomed out.

Concerning WOA MD-11F reliability ... it isn't the best, but then again the LH MD-11Fs aren't much better either. MX intensive birds they are.

Last edited:
Concerning WOA MD-11F reliability ... it isn't the best, but then again the LH MD-11Fs aren't much better either. MX intensive birds they are.
Good friend works at World and says their LH/DHL operation consistantly averages 97% or better for dispatch reliability. Not bad imo.

Makes sense though to keep their flying on their own aircraft or subsideraries.

Another advantage of Leuven. Hometown of Stella Artois and the Brewery. If in Brussels check out the Delerium beer bar, tons on draught. The Belgian beers are the best in the world and the chocolate isn't bad either.

Oh, yeah! :beer:

Delerium, Karmellite Triple, any of the Leffe products if you want a little more taste in your brew. Stella and Jupiler will do nicely, but the Saints of the Brewer's art were all from Belgium!

Holiday Inn or Damshire in Leuven-free breakfast can be negotiated for the crews. Wonderful beer, world class beer-real nectar of the Gods stuff, and in the Flemish speaking part of the country-they deal with English speakers well. Leuven is also home to the oldest University in Europe and there is plenty of eye candy. Concerts in the square on weekends, you can't fall down without landing on the entry to another pub...

The food is on par with European prices but I never had a bad meal there and some were outstanding. Mussels at the Dumass...heaven!

The only way Leuven could be better is if it was situated on a warm, sunny beach!

Latest resources

Back