Broken Ankle

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saabslave

I broke the fibula in my ankle on 07/10 my ortho says that I can go back to work but the FAA says I need full range of motion before I get my medical back. The Physical theripist says that I may never have full range of motion back, because of my age.

Has anyone had a simular problem? That they might have some insight on?

Thanks for the help

If your doctor indicates that you're acceptable for work, have the doctor indicate this to the AME, or to whomever you spoke to with the FAA.

Who in the FAA told you that you may not return to work, under what circumstances did they learn of your ankle, in what capacity did they speak, and to whom else have you spoken?

So far all I have talked to is my AME and he called the FAA regional ofice. What he said that they told him was that I could not get my medical back until I had full range of motion in my ankle. I feel that I can go back now and the ortho agrees.

I have already called our alpa medical rep and am waiting for a call back, just thought that someone may have had a simular problem.

Is your ankle something your AME would have known about if you hadn't told him? If so, then you shouldn't have told him. That's water under the bridge right now, but you have two strikes against you, and the input of your ortho is largely irrelevant at this point; you revealed yourself to your AME, putting the decision in his hands, and he deferred you to the FAA, who has acted contrary to your interests.

While ALPA might help you, if you're a member, don't count on it; ALPA doesn't necessarily help anyone. You help them by paying them...but that's another story.

Leftseat.com, for Pilot Medical Soloutions. It's a good place to start.

While ALPA might help you, if you're a member, don't count on it; ALPA doesn't necessarily help anyone. You help them by paying them...but that's another story.

I'm not sure why the AME was involved until your next required medical exam. At that point you are required to list all visits to health care professionals with a few exceptions. When the treating DR said that I was OK to return to flying and I felt there was no limiting reason that I couldn't safely return to flying, I would have just returned to work.

In fact that is exactly what I did with a broken foot. I went out on medical leave from work, when the DR said I was good to go, I simply returned to work. Made the necessary disclosure on the next FAA medical application.

As for ALPA, I don't usually have much good to say about the association in general. However, if you are an ALPA member the AeroMedical office in CO is a great asset & should be the first place you call (NOT THE FAA) if you have any questions about medical issues. I would never suggest denying or covering up any medical issue that is required to be disclosed, but the ALPA AeroMedical office will assist you with what & how to disclose any medical problem. If the situation should keep you from flying, the AeroMedical office will tell you what you need to do so that you can return to the cockpit.

You mentioned that you called your ALPA medical rep, if you mean another pilot with your company, don't wait for him/her to call you back. Call the ALPA AeroMedical office directly. Their number should be on the ALPA website or in the magazine. If you can't find it let me know I have it somewhere.

When you do call the ALPA office, a very helpful person will take your membership information and will want to know at least some basic medical info. That info is passed on to 1 of the staff DRs who will call you back directly to dicuss your situation.

Good luck.

Last edited:
When I broke my arm I had a plate put in by my wrist. It was the 2nd time it was broken in 3 months, and had never healed the first time so my muscles had atrophied since I was favoring it. Plus the recovery from the surgery was pretty long, and even today I don't have the strength in it that I used to have.

The only thing my FAA doctor asked was "how is your arm?" I said "Fine."

Good to go.

I broke my ankle last October, Fractured both bones and chipped another one. I have a metal plate and 8 screws holding it all together. My 1st Class medical elapsed to a 2nd Class in December. I still had a cast on at the time and didn't even bother getting my medical back until I had been released from the Ortho Surgeon and Phys Therapist. I didn't even bother with ALPA. I emailed AOPA and asked what I needed, I gathered all the required paperwork and when I went to get my 1st Class back the AME looked it over and said ok. I showed him the scar and he just said "looks like you did it up right" End of story. I also had endoscopic sinus surgery a few months ago and when I went a few weeks ago for my 1st Class again I turned in the documentation and he looked at it and "counseled" me on the use of the drugs I was prescribed. (which I only took for a week after the surgery)...
Guess I have a laid back AME.

Good Luck!

I learned to fly while still in a walking boot a few months after surgery for breaking all the metatarcels (not sure how to spell that) I had to get a medical while still in that boot and the only question that was asked by my AME was can you operate an aircraft normally with in on... YES of course I can was the answer and that was that...

I have a screw in my left wrist happened when I was 13. Ever since it was broken it has never had full range of motion. Disclosed on medical as a surgery AME said OK

One day I will post Copies of my X-rays as soon as I can scan it clearly!

Edit:

Here It Is My Left Wrist

Another View

Now Only if I can find out what happened to my EKG when I was Dead for little over 3 min.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back