Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ck130

Greetings All,

I'm usually not motivated enough to take the time to post my thoughts, but this story pissed me off so much I just had to say something. Hopefully the link works. Apparently the Brazilians think the way to ensure this does not happen again in the future is to ignore all of the facts and use the pilots as scapegoats. It sounds like the prosecuter went to the Niphong school of law in Raleigh NC.

If this case moves forward without an absolute uproar from pilot groups around the world then all of the airline Unions, including ALPA, should just close up shop because they don't act when it matters most.

Perhaps, if this indictment does go through, everyone with a line to Brazil could call in sick on the same day and deliver a nice kick to the groin of the Brazilian tourist industry.

It could be anyone of us facing this...............

CK130

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070525/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/brazil_plane_crash

What's even more incredible CK is that Joe and Jan have said they will return to Brazil to face the charges.

I'm sure cooler heads will prevail and they will re-think their position, if not, good luck to 'em....they'll surely need it!

Which is why I will refuse any flight assignment to Brazil:uzi:

No freaking way. They should have been sitting comfortably in a nation with no extradition to Brazil months ago. Brazil is just another banana republic with a kangaroo court system looking to scapegoat two 'evil Americans.' The place should be the world's foremost nuclear waste dump.

What's even more incredible CK is that Joe and Jan have said they will return to Brazil to face the charges.

I'm sure cooler heads will prevail and they will re-think their position, if not, good luck to 'em....they'll surely need it!

from the article...

"Lepore and Paladino were detained in Brazil for two months and allowed to leave only after promising to return for any court action. But a local lawyer for the pilots said it was unclear whether they would have to go back.
"We have to wait for the judge's ruling, but the pilots have the right to defend themselves in the United States," Theo Dias said. Asked whether they would return if convicted, he said, "That is a hypothesis I prefer not to entertain."

I think we all need to call to all of our union reps. This is the type of thing a inter-national (IFAPA) union should be able to take care of. If this indictment comes down next week every Airline pilot (US or otherwise) should refuse all assignments to Brazil. PERIOD! This was clearly an accident! A message needs to be sent to these backa-ss-wards 3rd world countries that they cannot F*ck around with imprisoning pilots in accidents. When another accident happens in another 3rd world country they will not get any stupid ideas the next time. All they will have to do is look at the destroyed tourism industry of Brazil. If this indictment comes down, we need to put the hurt on Brazilian tourism so bad that the only tourist the Brazilians will be able to get are emporer penguins swimming in from Antartica.

Just because you don't fly to Braizl, don't think it doesn't effect you, don't think that Mexico or some of those Carribiean countries wouldn't think twice about doing this same type of BS.

The time is now...right here right now.

This is not making the mainstream news in the states, we need to be very vocal about this.

Later

Last edited:
from the article...

"Lepore and Paladino were detained in Brazil for two months and allowed to leave only after promising to return for any court action. But a local lawyer for the pilots said it was unclear whether they would have to go back.
"We have to wait for the judge's ruling, but the pilots have the right to defend themselves in the United States," Theo Dias said. Asked whether they would return if convicted, he said, "That is a hypothesis I prefer not to entertain."

I think we all need to call to all of our union reps. This is the type of thing a inter-national (IFAPA) union should be able to take care of. If this indictment comes down next week every Airline pilot (US or otherwise) should refuse all assignments to Brazil. PERIOD! This was clearly an accident! A message needs to be sent to these backa-ss-wards 3rd world countries that they cannot F*ck around with imprisoning pilots in accidents. When another accident happens in another 3rd world country they will not get any stupid ideas the next time. All they will have to do is look at the destroyed tourism industry of Brazil. If this indictment comes down, we need to put the hurt on Brazilian tourism so bad that the only tourist the Brazilians will be able to get are emporer penguins swimming in from Antartica.

Just because you don't fly to Braizl, don't think it doesn't effect you, don't think that Mexico or some of those Carribiean countries wouldn't think twice about doing this same type of BS.

The time is now...right here right now.

This is not making the mainstream news in the states, we need to be very vocal about this.

Later

AMEN!

Well said. As pilots we must continue to write our reps and congressmen until this sham is uncovered for what it is.

-AD issued for the transponder on the Legacy Joe and Jan piloted.(xponder goes into standby)
-when the xponder reply was lost....brazilian atc did not respond for over 50 minutes...never tried to communicate until AFTER the accident
-Gol flight and the Legacy were never called on the radio about conflicting targets.
-suspicious ATC slow down in brazil after the accident.

Much more that can't be discussed at this time.

A great thanks and support for all of the aviation professionals that have been active in this tragedy.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back