• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DHS vs DOD

sardaddy said:
"You're not going to turn this into a black shoe
vs. brown shoe thing are you?"

No way. I would never do that. I really did like the word and I realize that reading comprehension is not a normal blackshoe trait (just kidding)so why would I try to turn it into something it is not.

Have a great day.

You too and keep up the excellent work. You folks must be getting
fatigued with all the flying necessary to clean up this mess.

P.S. I found the US Code section which relates to Emergency Preparedness
and the transfer of the Coast Guard to the Navy. Note - You are correct,
the Coast Guard does not specifically transfer to the DOD, just under DON
control (if I'm reading it correctly). It's US Code Title 42 Section 5195,
here's the excerpt:

(3) Develop plans to provide for the smooth transition of the
Coast Guard as a service to the Department of the Navy during
national security emergencies. These plans shall be compatible with
the Department of Defense planning systems, especially in the areas
of port security and military readiness;

Pssst... did I unintentionally hijack this thread?

Last edited:
No hijack here! :)

Any discussion about the Coast Guard is good. Remember, the only thing worse than bad press is *NO* press. :)

Well then with that door opened let me break down really quickly how we are set up as a service now.

Believe it or not (many don't) we are a military service. We do not however fall under DOD. So we become the redheaded stepchild when it comes to funding etc. We are very much the "missing link" between civilian law enforcement and the military. We can conduct law enforcement activities on US soil/waters and we can perform in a military capacity just like our DOD counterparts. Something no other service or organization in the country can do.

Ever since a few years ago, we now fall under the Department of Homeland Security. The United States Coast Guard and the Secret Service were the only two entities not required to change their organizational structure when the new department was developed so the only thing we changed was the letterhead. We went from being put on the backburner in DOT to playing a leading role in DHS which is quite a nice change actually.

As xshiprider pointed out, by US code we can be placed under the Department of the Navy in wartime. In fact, there is a joke that says the USCG is the hard nucleus upon which the Navy revolves in times of war. However, this has not actually happened since WWII. We have been in every war since then but we have always operated under our own department rules and have not been transferred to Navy control.

That about wraps it up.

I had the opportunity to work with the Coast Guard during my recent two week AT. For the record, I'm a Navy reservist. I really enjoyed their results oriented atmosphere. We had to present briefings to the captain of the port in the exercise intel so he could "play" yet not be so overburdened that he and his staff couldn't do his real world mission. The Coasties told us right away that they were not interested in fluff, they weren't power-point rangers. Just the facts maam'. I was inspired enough that I'm putting in a package to transfer over. It doesn't hurt that I have a potential skill that's not getting tapped in my paper pushing admin duties that I can market to them. One big pain in the butt has been that since the Coast Guard moved over to the department of homeland security, I have to basically do a direct commision type packet instead of an inter-service transfer. I have to do a new security clearance, letters of recommendation, criminal background check, conditional release from the Navy, commisioning physical, I even had to take the ASVAB since it'd been too long since I graduated college. Next step: an interview by three Coast Guard officers at the local Marine Safety Office.

I've been out of the CG for a few years now, but I don't think that the transfer over to the DHS has anything to do with your eligibility for an interservice transfer. The interservice transfer isn't used too often, particularly in the past 10-15, but I served with a couple of pilots who were interservice transfers and not DCA (Direct Commissioned Aviators). The Interservice transfer was designed (if I'm not mistaken) to allow officers who had served an EXCHANGE tour with the CG to come over to the CG if both services agreed. I don't think that there is a break in service for an interservice transfer, but again I'm just speculating based on my old recollections. The Direct Commission is the prefered way for the CG to recruit officers with specific skills (doctors, lawyers and yes pilots, as well as others) that they have no other way of getting.

There are probably more issues involved, but I'm pretty sure the fact that the CG is now in the DHS has little to do with you not being able to get an interservice transfer.

In any case good luck with your DC application/process.

FJ

Officers

Falconjet said:
I've been out of the CG for a few years now, but I don't think that the transfer over to the DHS has anything to do with your eligibility for an interservice transfer. The interservice transfer isn't used too often, particularly in the past 10-15, but I served with a couple of pilots who were interservice transfers and not DCA (Direct Commissioned Aviators). The Interservice transfer was designed (if I'm not mistaken) to allow officers who had served an EXCHANGE tour with the CG to come over to the CG if both services agreed. I don't think that there is a break in service for an interservice transfer, but again I'm just speculating based on my old recollections. The Direct Commission is the prefered way for the CG to recruit officers with specific skills (doctors, lawyers and yes pilots, as well as others) that they have no other way of getting.

There are probably more issues involved, but I'm pretty sure the fact that the CG is now in the DHS has little to do with you not being able to get an interservice transfer.

In any case good luck with your DC application/process.

FJ

I may have found the answer to the interservice transfer process in the
PERSMAN. First, here's the link (pdf doc - fairly large):

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-w/g-wp/g-wpm/PersMan/PERSMAN%20Chap%2012.pdf

Second, here's the PERSMAN section:

12.A.3.a. General
Per 10 U.S.C. 716, and notwithstanding any other provision of law, any
commissioned officers of a uniformed service may be transferred from their
uniformed service to, and appointed in, another uniformed service. The
following applies:
1. The officer must consent to the transfer.
2. An officer transferred from the Coast Guard may not be appointed in
another Service at a higher rank or precedence than that held on the date
before transfer.
3. Transfers will be made only within authorized strength limitations to officers who have fulfilled their obligated service requirements.

The procedure section immediately follows...

Thirdly and finally, here's codified law:
USC Title 10 Section 716 states, "(a) Notwithstanding any other provision of
law, the President, within authorized strengths and with the consent of the
officer involved, may transfer any commissioned officer of a uniformed
service from his uniformed service to, and appoint him in, another
uniformed service
. The Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of
Homeland Security
, the Secretary of Commerce, and the Secretary of
Health and Human Services shall jointly establish, by regulations
approved by the President, policies and procedures for such
transfers and appointments."
(emphasis added by me)

Last edited:
Douglas Munro

LegacyDriver said:
I believe you even have a Medal of Honor winner from WWII if I am not mistaken...

Here's the link for the Coast Guard's only recipient:

http://www.medalofhonor.com/DouglasMunro.htm

As a Signalman school grad' (skivvy waver) and Coast Guardsman, I join the
nation in lauding this man's valor.

Latest resources

Back