Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

satpak77

Marriott Platinum Member
A guy at our company came to me with this question, I suppose because my own BP is elevated and I "know" about the topic. But this question is a little different

This person, who holds a Comm pilot license, is working in admin/corporate functions in the company, he has an expired 2nd class, it expired last year. Now he will come into the flight department as a Co-Pilot and will be getting a new medical.

He WAS on BP meds for approx two months, up until 90 days ago (meds started in March 2008 until April 2008, then in May 2008 until present no meds), but due to lifestyle changes, new diet, exercise, he made the decision to stop taking them and monitor his BP. It was much lower, and under FAA standards. It is still fine to this day. No BP meds. BP meds stopped over 90 days ago. No BP meds currently used, and his BP is within FAA protocol.

Remember, his medical certificate is expired and he has not flown at all (exercised his airman certificate) while the short time that he was on BP meds.

Now, when applying for a NEW medical, he will of course disclose that he had elevated BP in the past and if the AME asks, he will explain his lifestyle changes, etc.

MY QUESTION:

If he is NO LONGER ON BP MEDS, and MEETS the BP protocol, will he still need to send in blood work, ECG, all that stuff to the FAA?

I advised him to "disclose" but don't advertise...we don't need to raise red flags if we can avoid it. He plans on reporting "No medications currently used" on the medical application (which is true, it says currently), then check the "yes, I had elevated BP in the past" box, then verbally explain the situation to the AME.

Anyone see anything wrong with this or improper, etc? (I don't, but I want to toss this out to the audience to digest).

The alternative is get started on obtaining the ECG, blood work, hypertension paperwork the FAA needs which frankly, if we don't have to do it, we won't. Why roll the dice on the ECG machine having transient voltage or breakfast tacos showing up in bloodwork if we don't need to.

Last edited:
Call Virtual Flight Surgeons. $40 consult fee and they will answer your questions and point you in the proper direction. I think its avaitionmedicine.com. WELL worth the call. Good luck.

A guy at our company came to me with this question, I suppose because my own BP is elevated and I "know" about the topic. But this question is a little different

This person, who holds a Comm pilot license, is working in admin/corporate functions in the company, he has an expired 2nd class, it expired last year. Now he will come into the flight department as a Co-Pilot and will be getting a new medical.

He WAS on BP meds for approx two months, up until 90 days ago (meds started in March 2008 until April 2008, then in May 2008 until present no meds), but due to lifestyle changes, new diet, exercise, he made the decision to stop taking them and monitor his BP. It was much lower, and under FAA standards. It is still fine to this day. No BP meds. BP meds stopped over 90 days ago. No BP meds currently used, and his BP is within FAA protocol.

Remember, his medical certificate is expired and he has not flown at all (exercised his airman certificate) while the short time that he was on BP meds.

Now, when applying for a NEW medical, he will of course disclose that he had elevated BP in the past and if the AME asks, he will explain his lifestyle changes, etc.

MY QUESTION:

If he is NO LONGER ON BP MEDS, and MEETS the BP protocol, will he still need to send in blood work, ECG, all that stuff to the FAA?

I advised him to "disclose" but don't advertise...we don't need to raise red flags if we can avoid it. He plans on reporting "No medications currently used" on the medical application (which is true, it says currently), then check the "yes, I had elevated BP in the past" box, then verbally explain the situation to the AME.

Anyone see anything wrong with this or improper, etc? (I don't, but I want to toss this out to the audience to digest).

The alternative is get started on obtaining the ECG, blood work, hypertension paperwork the FAA needs which frankly, if we don't have to do it, we won't. Why roll the dice on the ECG machine having transient voltage or breakfast tacos showing up in bloodwork if we don't need to.
Go to jet careers.com and under my flight surgeon there is a doctor with his phone number you can talk to. There are plenty of positive feed backs from him and he's actually a flight surgeon doing free consultations.
Good luck

Latest resources

Back