• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boyd on RJ's 30 April 07

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Should the airlines cut their losses now and go back to turboprops, or are they stuck with RJ's?

Some companies realize there isn't much value for a used 7-10 year old CRJ, owe too much on the planes relative to their market value, or are unwilling to accept the downside risk of financing new-generation large turboprops like the Q3/400 or ATR 72.

Clearly we need more Dash 8-400s to replace the fuel-thirsty CRJ/ERJs out there. Looks like Colgan was ahead of its time................ Those Q400s make a lot of sense when flying around the NE because distances don't require significant range and most aircraft don't get to spend much time at typical cruise altitude. Plus, you can fill those suckers up pretty good and they are reasonably comfortable - much more so than the typical CRJ with its low windows and small bins.

Can we trade in the CRJs for Q400s one-to-one? Let's get more Q400s out there!!!!!!!!!!!

It's not what he says, it's how he says it.

He spits out metaphors like someone eating a muffin with half a mouse inside. ;)

The limits of the RJ is just around the corner. Get on with the majors as soon as you can. When the music stops playing, Tens of thousands will be stuck working at the 'small lift providers' until retirement. If you think pay and work rules are bad now, wait until the flying jobs market shrinks tighter than a fully applied tube of Preparation H. Standard work rules will include; $0/pay for DH, airport ' hot reserve', 50k/yr captains and 25k/yr FOs, sharing hotel rooms (just like the rest of small town corporate America), employee payed health insurance due to renewable employment contracts (ie: JetBlue).
I think we're beginning to see a lot these related changes at every small lift provider already.

Heyas CP,

I think you're right. When the market shrinks enough, the majors will turn the tables on the small jet providers in a HUGE way.

They'll turn it into a franchise like deal where if you want to fly with the widget on the tail, the provider will have to pay a fee to the mothership, same as when you buy a Subway, part of that goes to Joel (or whatever the ex-fat guy's name is).

Nu

Sounds like a pompous meaningless rant to me. Although a good writer with colourful metaphors, he should write children's books instead.....more money and inherently more amenable to fantasy.

A metaphor such as the F terminal at ORD being: The fall of Saigon re-enactment?

Heyas CP,

I think you're right. When the market shrinks enough, the majors will turn the tables on the small jet providers in a HUGE way.

They'll turn it into a franchise like deal where if you want to fly with the widget on the tail, the provider will have to pay a fee to the mothership, same as when you buy a Subway, part of that goes to Joel (or whatever the ex-fat guy's name is).

Nu

That day has already come and gone! Skywest paid $450 million for more franchise territory, and to prop up one of the hands that fed them. They had no choice, for at the the time, 40% of their revenues came from the carrier that was the endangered species. Now, with what amounts to Skywest giving the Widget CPR, the Widget lived on to get what amounts to the quad-druple, bypass that it so desparately needed! Without the Skywest cash infusion, there would be no Bankruptcy Exit; the victim would have been DOA! However the infusion was mutually beneficial, and it was a heck of a deal when all things are considered for both parties. Hopefully, all parties will live happily ever after!

Last edited:
That idiot has been on an RJ rant for years. Flew in one, wasn't happy and takes every opportunity to declare the obvious unprofitability of the 50-seat RJ.

I think his philosophy is that if he keeps saying the same thing every six months, sooner or later (after 5-8 years), it will come true, so he can say, "WA-LA !, SEE I TOLD YOU SO !"

Smart, he's not.

What's the definition of an RJ? You know there are A380's that are planned regional jets.

Latest resources

Back