• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Both hands on yoke during landing?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The go-around in a high performance aircraft may necessitate the use of both hands on the yoke. With full power and trimmed for the approach speed, you'll get a lot of nose-up action and some yaw to the left. Under these conditions you may have to use both hands to hold that nose down.

Have your instructor demonstrate an elevator trim stall for you. You'll notice that in order to keep the nose from coming up to high, you will need a lot of forward pressure to keep it down while you retrim.

polysciguy9 said:
I read an article in AOPA flight training which suggested that with the time it takes to move your hand from the yoke to the throttle, you only gain an additional 22 feet of landing roll.

22 feet as long as you only fly a 172 or similar. Use whatever method to learn how to land. Eventually if you plan on flying for a living you will have to learn to land with one hand. I can just about guarantee that you will not be allowed to get away with it in a 135 or 121 operation. Not that they would tell you it is wrong....the IP would just call a go-around 10 feet above the runway everytime you tried the two handed landing.

Same thing with keeping your hand on the throttles until V-1. Remove your hand early and that guarantees an engine failure prior to V1/MCA and a potential trip through the weeds.......well, the simulators rendition of the weeds anyhow! :)

Fly_Chick said:
In 121 or 135 operations, aren't throttles typically 'guarded' by the non-flying pilot?

Unless you're 135 single pilot, that's how I would imagine it being done.

-mini

Fly_Chick said:
In 121 or 135 operations, aren't throttles typically 'guarded' by the non-flying pilot?

No, the the only time the non-flying plot has his/herhadns on the throttles/power levers, is on take off IF the flying pilot is the FO. Or depending on the aircraft, the FO may tweek them to th desire setting.

Now on the subject of landing with both hands on the yoke. I think it's a bad practice. I have had a few european students that learned toland wih both hands on the yoke though.
I tought my students to always have one hand on the throttle below 1000 ft AGL (to build a good habit).

Pedro said:
No, the the only time the non-flying plot has his/herhadns on the throttles/power levers, is on take off IF the flying pilot is the FO. Or depending on the aircraft, the FO may tweek them to th desire setting.

Cool...good info!

-mini

Fly_Chick said:

Nope, not for landing.

The non flying pilot will set the takeoff power on some airplanes and at CAL the captain always guards the throttles for takeoff (and performs all aborts).

In the professional pilot ranks it is widely considered to be a sign of "weak" skills and poor technique if you are using both hands on the yoke. Big, long bodied aircraft often need power adjustments in the flare and both hands on the yoke is a good way to set yourself up for dragging the fuselage on landing.

If it works for you now, great but wean yourself off of it as soon as you can. Same thing for slipping all the way down final. Learn to kick the crab out in the flare.

SuperFLUF said:
Big, long bodied aircraft often need power adjustments in the flare and both hands on the yoke is a good way to set yourself up for dragging the fuselage on landing.

Just like in our 145XRs ;)

Latest resources

Back