Bose X vs. DC ANR's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Illini Pilot

anyone have experience with both brands of headsets? i need a new headset, so i want to get a nice one that i can use for a long time. i want to go the ANR route...is it worth the extra $400 for the bose x, or are the david clark ANR's (i know there are several different ANR models) comparable.

Go to Oshkosh, try and win a pair, then on the last day, buy a pair for about $600.

Some guy was walking around selling em for $600 on the last day.

edit: talking about the Bose of course.

http://search.ebay.com/Bose-Aviatio...refZC12QQfromZR8QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsacatZ26435

Theres a used pair on Ebay for $695. I'd try and go to Oshkosh if you aren't already. All sorts of goodies, and if you enter every contest they have going, you might win something.

Last edited:
I've owned them both (had the DC ANR while learning to fly and a bit of instructing, Bose for 2 years instructing, then in a turboprop and now a jet), and the DCs don't even compare:

If you plan on wearing your headset for any length of time the "David Clamps" will start giving you a throbbing melon while the Bose feel great. Noise cancelling is better in the Bose as well. Worth a grand? I don't know (I guess that depends on your personal finances), but an awesome product just the same...

I own a pair of DC 10-13X ANR headesets. At work, our airplanes have Bose headesets panel mounted. The Bose work better with sunglasses (the noise reduction isn't as badly negeated by the sunglasses). They're both fairly comfortable to wear for 3 or 4 hours. After that, they start to get uncomfortable.

I've had great customer service with the DC. I'd say go with the DC's. They're rugged and do the same job as the Bose for less money.

Also good experience with the DC13.4X ANRs. Bulletproof in all respects, great battery life, and if you do lose a battery, ANR loss is progressive, and they even have pretty good passive noise reduction. Do you want your 1000 dollar headset in the shop, or you 500 dollar headset in the airplane with you?

i have the DC 13X ANR's. After about 2.5 hrs they start to hurt my head. I have found that if you use thin framed sunglasses the noise cancelling isn't really affected b/c the gel seals are able to seal around them just fine. As far as comfort goes, it seems to vary with every person. Some people have no problem with the DC's, some do, others have no problem with the Bose, others say they get hot spots on either side of the top of their head (makes sense if you look at the design of them). I think it just depends on the shape of your head.

I think that Bose will send you a pair that you can demo. Not sure if DC will do the same.

Latest resources

Back