Bose headset

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyToVegas

About three years plus a couple months ago a *won* a Bose X heaset set. LUCKY DAY!!! However, since the beginning, it really didn't seem to perform the way I was expecting. In particular, the boom seemed to emit scratchy sounds when it was being moved, which it often had to as the boom always fell away from my mouth. People often could not hear me. I had no receipt, being a prize, so I just kept it and used it. Well, about three years later, the boom broke in two. Right down the main chord, if I can describe it that way.

Now it is unusable. I have contacted Bose Customer "Service" many time with no reply whatsoever. I realize I did not pay for this headset, BUT, wouldn't you think that the product that costs twice what its next-priced competitor does should last more than three years???? I cannot imagine that I wore it harder than anyone else. I may have gotten a bum product.

Still, at that price, Bose's quality control should be better and when I see folks using their 10-year old DCs that work as good as the day they got them, I have to wornder what Bose is doing.

Has anyone else had an unexpectedly poor experience with the Bose headset?

This won't help flytovegas but my experience with David Clark product service has been outstanding.

recently I've sent 2 headsets to DC for repair. The first was an ANR set which had developed an intermittent malfunction. They replaced the entire electronic workings of the headset, including plugs, cord, ANR module, and speakers, and they also replaced the gel ear seals. All for no charge, even though it was more than 5 years old.

The second pair was a set I bought 14 years ago. I snet it in for a cracked ear dome. They replaced the ear dome, installed new gel ear seals, and a new gel headpad. all for no charge.

David Clark really stands behind their products. You would think that with the premium you pay for a set of Bose Headsets, you'd get good product support too.

regards

I think your experience with Bose is atypical, perhaps because you won it? Mine has been wonderful. I got it as a graduation present. I'm not sure I would have spent a grand of my own on it. The ANR is still the best out there, although not much better than my lightspeed 25XL. I haven't dealt with their customer service personally, but a friend of mine stepped on his battery box and cracked it. Bose fixed it free of charge and even shipped him a loaner headset to use while they fixed it.

Two friends and I each own a Bose, and all of us have had a very postive experience. The construction quality puts lightspeed to shame. I've owned two lightspeed headsets, and they break all the time. Lightspeed has been great about fixing them, but who wants to send their headset in once or twice a year for repair? I was excited to see that they were putting out a 3rd generation of their product, but disappointed to see that it's the same old HUGE plastic construction

Anyway, I would expect more from Bose even if the product was free. They are well known for quality, service, and expensiveness throughout their product line. I would send a letter to the president about you experience.

We have the Bose headsets in our King Air and I have to say that besides having superb sound the rest of the headset is below average. The little head cushion keeps falling out, I seem to notice a lot of background noise when using the intercom, and the mike boom isnt long enough and will not stay in one place. If they weren't hard-wired into the airplane I would use my Plantronics instead.

Just my $.02

Cheers,
Skyking

I'd get on their website and email them with your problem (forget the part about you winning them). I've always had good luck getting products fixed / replaced this way - even when the warrantee is expired!!

I own a Bose and have never had a problem with it so far. The lady I spoke with even said if there is any problem, call or email and they'll fix it or replace it and in most cases free of charge.

:D

Love the DC's

I have a set of David Clarks with ANR that I have used for about five years now that are great. There is a small problem "someone" keeps forgetting to turn off the battery pack and they run down in a couple days that way. Do you think David Clark has a fix for me? Of course I am only joking when I ask for a solution as I realize I am forgetful in this regard.

I have used the Bose headset before and have had very good luck. However, I have never used them on a long-term basis. We are considering replacing the Cessna-issued telex headsets in our Citation with Bose and I am curoius to hear how well Bose stands behind their product. Let us know what you find out.

Kevin

Bose

To answer you, I have called Bose and got lost in voicemail "hell." I did leave a message and did not hear back. I followed up with two emails and so far, no answer. I guess this is how Bose stands behind their product!

I have some Lightspeed 25XL's and they work great. Nice and quiet, amazing when you turn it off and on again! . Also the ANR automatically turns off when it 'senses' (or something) that there's no sound 'seal' on your head. No more worrying about forgeting to turn it off. Saves $$ loads on batteries.

I don't like the Big wide (horizontally) size of the earphones, and that it's plastic (creaks everytime I put it on, threatening to break, but thankfully hasn't yet! ).

Latest resources

Back