Booted Zimbabwe farmers turn to Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FN FAL said:
Why would the Brits give a rats ass...I thought South Africans were Dutch?

No. Going way back in history, and I mean way back, South Africa was Portugese. The Dutch came later on. Now my post really was with Zim which is another story.

In regards to South Africa, and somewhere there is a South African on this forum that can confirm this, South Africa was NOT indigenous to the black man. South Africa was settled by the Western European whites. Period.

Zim was the old Rhodesia (sp). The name came from Rhodes, like in Rhodes scholership. It will take pages and pages to cover the history of this part of the world. If anyone is really interested, as a starter I would suggest Michner's book THE Covent.

www.bdkingpress.com

Challenge

Find ONE town, city, village, state, or country where blacks took over and property values increased and crime rates declined.

I defy you.

Clear enough?

I grew up in Zim and SA so know them well, great places both but tough times ahead. Mugabe wont last long then we will go back in and rebuild it.
anyone want to come over and rebuild general aviation again?
cheers

"power is corrupting but absolute power is intoxicating"

BD King said:
No. Going way back in history, and I mean way back, South Africa was Portugese. The Dutch came later on. Now my post really was with Zim which is another story.
Portugese...that would explain seeing them in the photographs with indgneous peoples, out on patrol and what not.

Although I don't have any African time...nor was I in a combat unit in the military, I used to somewhat follow the news about South Africa back in the late 70's. Lot's of stories about the ANC and Swapo.

I remember reading in the liberal newspaper media about some "mass murder" of some black politicians at a house party. Then, I would read a specializing magazine and they said it was a raid conducted by the SA Special Boat Service. The SBS used Kleper Canoes to cross some big lake to get to this house party where members of the ANC were going to be. These ANC were responsible for blowing up school bus with SA children on it. The SBS found the house and house cleared...according the the specializing magazine. I won't say what magazine it was, but Robert K. Brown was the publisher.

Segue...If I'm not mistaken, Peter Kokalais from that same magazine is doing a product review for Small Arms Review magazine on something that should be arriving at my house this week.

But anyway, rodger on the Portuguese thing, saw the photos of them toting FAL's on patrol in the big woods.

GVFlyer said:
You are, of course, right as far as transportation issues go. I was viewing it from a standpoint of national and military strategic interest.

I'll lead you through how we go about making these assessments and estimates. The process begins with identifying core national values from which one can derive national interests. Based on the identified interests, we can develop statements of national objectives that are the ends of our grand strategy. Identifying the interests we wish to protect is an essential ingredient of a strategic appraisal. That appraisal then continues with the identification of threats and challenges to those interests. We want to know, as best we can, who or what can threaten our interests in what ways. The threats and challenges may derive rrom specific actors in the international system (states or non-state actors), or they may be more generally based in developments and trends occurring within the system (such as increasing economic globalization or weapons proliferation). Once the threats and challenges to U.S. interests have been identified, we have to examine current policy to see if we are adequately addressing the protection and promotion of our interests. Realigning our strategy with the protection and promotion of our interests, given the threats and challenges to them in the contemporary security environment, is the essence of the search for a new grand strategy. Of course, we must also identify and articulate the other component parts of that strategy (such as a military strategy in support of the national security strategy), and conduct a risk assessment. The latter is important because no country, including the United States, has unlimited resources (means) with which to pursue its objectives (ends). This implies that we must make tradeoffs in what we protect and promote and how. Such tradeoffs entail risk, and we must make conscious decisions about how much risk in what areas we are willing to take.

There was a time when we made all Navy ships 108 feet wide so they could pass through the 110 foot Gatun locks. That time has passed with our larger warships and the evolution of commercial shipping into mammoth container ships and supertankers. We have, however, lost the ability to control the passage of beligerent military vessels through the canals. I also feel that if the current process of Chinazation continues in Panama, the Chinese might feel it would be a convenient place to park a few Long March Missiles, just as the Soviets did with their ICBMs in Cuba.

GV

And the sad thing is the panamians won't do anything. They have a long history of doing nothing for themselves. IE Columbian independence. It will get really bad and we'll be called into the rescue with by then the Chinese parked 1200 miles from the states.

BD King said:
El correcto. I have no idea how to save Africa. None. Dumping money will not work. Missionaries will not work..........Shooting the bad guys and establishing our type of goverment has not worked. I'm clueless.

www.bdkingpress.com
I talked at length with a guy from Gambia (NW Africa), even he said it was impossible to get anything done...no body wants to do anything. That's why him and his brother got the hell out and according to him, Gambia wasn't as bad as some other African nations.

Latest resources

Back