Bonuses, awards for 5 at FedEx nearly $16.8 million

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
mamba20 said:
The people who deserve a bonus are people who actually do work for the company.

actually they did....

If this was US Air or UAL we were talking about, mis-managed into Ch.11, only to see top execs still get bonuses, I would cry foul. But this is FedEx, THE air freight company in the business (no UPS doesn't take that honor) and has made various "Most Admired Companies" lists over the years.

Additionally, flash forward to 2005, and we could all say that FDX and UPS are amongst the most stable pilot jobs out there.

Lets not get caught up in AArogance, sure the FedEx pilots MAKE the mission happen and get it done successfully, but there are more people behind the mission than the pilots.

Careful with "if it wasn't for us, there would be no ______ (insert any airline)."

FedEx today is a 29 Billion dollar company with offices in over 220 COUNTRIES. More than a quarter of a million employees exist worldwide. 670 airplanes and 70,000 trucks carry FedEx packages.

No, the top managers are not flying Cat IIIs to mins, but they have a tough job also. And if their job does not get done, everyone suffers.

FedEx senior management is a large reason that the company is on the track that it is. Senior management is actually guiding the company towards MAKING MONEY, as in profits, as in MAKING ACTUAL PHYSICAL MONEY. The pilots are not. The Pilots of course can save money, do things efficiently, come up with new ideas, etc, but management is responsible for MAKING MONEY.

These bonuses were "in line" with Fortune 500 companies, we are not talking 5 Billion dollars or a diamond plated toilet seat re: Bernie Ebbers.

If you are unhappy with that fact, trade your pilot's license in for an MBA and choose a new career path.

Last edited:
If a company is profitable, I have no problem with executives getting bonuses. IF it is NOT profitable, and they STILL GET BONUSES, then I have a problem with that. People (all employees hopefully) should profit in good times.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Well if the bonuses were inline than the pilot group should get bonuses/raises in line with everyone else, which I am pretty sure is more than a pathetic 2.3% increase.

Management works 9-5, at best, have nice bennies and are home in bed every night. We are flying the back side of the clock, around the world, blah blah blah

Just give me a respectable raise, some better work rules, tighten up the scope a little and protect the retirees...is that so much to ask???

PurpleTail said:
Well if the bonuses were inline than the pilot group should get bonuses/raises in line with everyone else, which I am pretty sure is more than a pathetic 2.3% increase.

Just give me a respectable raise, some better work rules, tighten up the scope a little and protect the retirees...is that so much to ask???

Everyone else being who? AMR, NWA, UAL, Alaska, and US Air? In line with their "raises?"

According to Airline Pilot Central, a senior FDX captain earns $206 an hour with a 71 hour guarantee. That is $14,626 a month, or 175,512 a year.

That is more than all the majors, except DAL and NWA, who are both close to Ch.11 and suffering financially. DAL and NWA are maybe 20 bucks an hour more. NWA has 500 pilots on the street and DAL has 500-600 on the street. FDX has none.

I would argue your retirees are in much better shape than those at the above companies.

Not starting a fight, all above points are valid, however more and more in 2005 "just having a good flying job" is the new bar to obtain, versus "work for company X" and fly airplane Y.

For example, I actually knew a guy who LEFT SWA in the early 90's to go to AMR, so he could do "Europe in heavy iron". Of course he is laid off (or was laid off) and while he was a Wal-Mart greeter while on furlough, he likely would have made SWA Captain.

Oh well, he was more full of himself than he was actual brainpower.

As pilots sometimes we get carried away with our own self importance and supremacy....sometimes we need to "come back to earth" and re-assess how good we have it....

Fly Safe

satpak77 relax for a minute and recage your gyros.

The "everyone else" that Purple Tail was referring to is, I believe, FedEx management and non-union employees. In other words, he was only asking for something similar to what other emloyees at the SAME company got.

And your sob story is meaningless...we all know someone who regrets a decision he made. I have a good friend who left jetblue in August 2000 to go to AA. Yep, he's furloughed now and trying to get on at FedEx. Does this mean that we should all quake in our boots and just be happy to have a "good" job?

NO.

If you are willing to settle for a "good" job, I have no problem with that. But many people have spent many years and countless hours trying to make this job a "better" one.

The next time you sit back and contemplate how "good you have it", think about what the company would do for you if you poked out your eye when you opened up your garage tomorrow (I know someone who had this happen to him - a spring broke and he's now -1 eyeball). What, no love? What about a stroke or a heart attack? How about a busted recurrent checkride? How about a visit from your friendly FAA rep? Or a violation? Or a lawsuit from a passenger who says you didn't have the seatbelt sign on?

Has management really beaten down the pilot corps so much that we question our own value to the operation? Do we get lulled into the routine so much that we determine that what we do is "nothing special" and could be had for pennies on the dollar if only we weren't so greedy?

The next time you think that what you do is "nothing special", go back and review all of the checkrides you sweated out in your life. Think about the ground evals, the orals, the upgrades.....everything that got you to that cushy job in the left seat flying the trips you want. Yep....nothing at all to justify what you make....in fact a reporter from the local newspaper could ride along with you and announce to the public that anyone in the world could do your job...it only involves a little typing on a keypad.

Right?

pilot141 said:
Has management really beaten down the pilot corps so much that we question our own value to the operation? Do we get lulled into the routine so much that we determine that what we do is "nothing special" and could be had for pennies on the dollar if only we weren't so greedy?

Pretty sad isn't it?

I wonder if executives scuabble amongst eachother in regards to whether or not they should get more money and/or how important their job is.

I could just see it now:

Dude #1: "Oh, quit your bitchin, at least you have a job. Besides $1 mil ain't so bad if you just cut out the yacht and 5th mistress. You are being way too greedy."

Dude #2: "Oh whatever, (insert executive's name here), you know how much responsibility we hold to the employees, taxpayers, etc? I deserve more. I mean, I know the company will probably file, but I have to ensure my pension. I mean, I am the CEO for God's sake"

Dude #3: "Now, now (insert the other executive's name here), you should just be happy doing what you have always set out to do. Who cares if you get more cash. I mean, you don't need to eat filet mignon every day, ya know?"

Things that make you go hmmm.......

Satpak77,

If I remember correctly you were considering applying to the airlines a year or two back, but decided at your age your secure gov'mint flying position was a good gig. Am I correct or have I remembered a different screen name?

Is there a bit of personal baggage in your post? By deciding NOT to leave, do you have to now make the job you passed less desirable? One trait I've seen in the past (especially from my military brethren) is a tendency to say "you guys should be happy with that"...and it lasts until they get hired a fly a year or two on the line and realize the demands of the job. I've also seen some retirees who passed on the airlines for whatever reason, then seem to second guess themselves down the road...and many of them are FULL of advice on what we should do and not do at our company. My take--they regret their decision and now cry "sour grapes".

This battle at FDX is a family squabble. There is a VERY nice apple pie on the table. The dad and big brothers and taking a VERY big slice. We'd like our piece to be a bit bigger, too. Dad may have planted the apple tree, and big brothers run the slicer and canners, but us little kids have been out in the orchard day and night day picking the apples. I think our piece after the GREAT harvest the last few years could be bigger than a 2.3% increase. Dad is still a good guy, and our brothers do a heck of good job at what they do. However, nobody sells even one apple if we don't pick them. Dad says if we keep complaining he'll go hire some migrant workers--but he knows we do a good job, and they are a big unknown. We know at some point he'd rather just give us a bit more pie than risk losing the orchard (and its customers)...so we'll see just how much.

gyros

All good points....and again I don't want to get into a bitching contest however when I see fellow pilots bitch about "how bad it is" at their place, sometimes it trips the "Let me Say Something" CB on my panel.

The underlying theme of my responses was not a direct volley against the two or three FDX posters on this thread, but more against the "it sucks here" attitude that ALL pilots tend to inherit even after reaching the "goal" of their pilot career.

Observe the thread got started as a "the execs dont work" type of thing, and they "dont deserve" their bonuses. Maybe those who are not happy with that need to get their MBA's and JD's and apply for the corporate office.

I know real estate agents that make $200K a year, and never fly one approach and are home M-F. Since I don't get a piece of that action, I guess its "wrong" that they should get that much?

Flip it around and we have blue collar workers and laborers, driving bulldozers all day long, at low wages, with no benefits. They see "airline pilots" are underworked, overpaid people who get to see Europe for free and work 4 days a month. Of course thats another incorrest assessment.

My words to them are the same, park the bulldozer and get your pilot's license.

Albie- I am sticking around until I retire, then I will try to join you guys and we can respond to non-FDXers on Flightinfo and chastise them :D

Everybody Fly Safe ;)

satpak77 said:
All good points....and again I don't want to get into a bitching contest however when I see fellow pilots bitch about "how bad it is" at their place, sometimes it trips the "Let me Say Something" CB on my panel.

The underlying theme of my responses was not a direct volley against the two or three FDX posters on this thread, but more against the "it sucks here" attitude that ALL pilots tend to inherit even after reaching the "goal" of their pilot career.

Observe the thread got started as a "the execs dont work" type of thing, and they "dont deserve" their bonuses. Maybe those who are not happy with that need to get their MBA's and JD's and apply for the corporate office.

I know real estate agents that make $200K a year, and never fly one approach and are home M-F. Since I don't get a piece of that action, I guess its "wrong" that they should get that much?

Everybody Fly Safe ;)

SATPAK~

What don't you get??? Nobody is complaining about our job or how bad we have it. Kudos to management for making some great decisions. Most pilots here at FedEx love being here (me included), showing up for work and helping the company grow and be profitable.

Just like Albie said, very interestingly, we just want a piece of the pie as well, like everyone else, at FedEx, is getting. How is it a company can be making SO MUCH MONEY yet DAL pilots are getting paid MORE, even after their 30% paycut, and they are bleeding money???

It is time for the FedEx pilot group to set the bar in the industry because if we don't who will???

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back