Bombardier bask to work, Comair update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
JA to 70 seater

There is no real good reason thats been presented to me to go to the 70 seater. My first thought when I was told I might be sent to the 70 seater was "great, bigger aircraft, more money and an extra FA."Delta is looking at Carribbean and Mexico markets again which means the 70 seater would be perfect for the short runways out there. Dallas crew base is sure to follow for the 70 seater. For an FO already losing money in CVG from Comair training pay, a base move now would realistically drive me to bankruptcy. Even with the 1st year reserve pay, I wouldn't be able to hold my head above water with a crashpad in Dallas.

All Captains on the 70 seater are the top 35 in the company, which generally calls for horrendous flights as an FO. That's not an overgeneralization on my part, thats from about 20 other FO's flying with senior guys.

Reserve time on the 50 seater is a little over one year. Reserve time on the 70 seater is projected to be 2-3 years. Reserve sucks a big one, especially if you commute. You're paid only 75 hours a month and fly much less. Sure its cool to stay at home and play golf...for about a month, then you want to go places, but you've got to be within 90 minutes of the airport at all times...and that includes about a 15-30 minute ride in from the Long Term parking lot. In CVG, that effectively limits you to a radius of about 50 miles from the airport, considering you're in uniform, packed, ready to go, and there's no traffic. Only 11 days off for reserve guys, with 2 sets of three and the rest single "floating" days, which means aside from your six "hard" days you never really know what day you're going to have off.
Having said that, I'd much rather do that for one year, than three.

There's a reason they had to jr. man FO's to the 70 seater, and when I figured it out I quickly agreed with the rest of the group.

Just my humble opinion. Take it for what its worth...about $.02
:)

miller22,

I'm waiting for a class date and know that I'm looking at at least a year on reserve following training. I have a couple of questions.

I was told at our interview brief that you had multiple call-out periods a day - how many and how long are the periods? What is your experience on how often a month an FO on reserve for the 50 seat flies? If you don't get called the first day or so of a reserve period, does that mean you normally sit out the whole thing? Or does chaos theory apply?

I don't have any problem sitting reserve (I usually can find some project to keep myself occupied when I have a hole in my schedule), just want to get a feel for the process so I can plan ahead.

Thanks...

On reserve, you have to be within 90 minutes of operations once notified.

There are eight windows, A1-A8. Windows A1-A5 are 14 hours long. A6 is 10 hours (my current window), A7 is six hours and A8 is four hours. These windows may not cross over into the next calendar day.

When the weather is good, and the operation is running smoothly, chances are you will not be called. When the weather isn't good, as the last week has not, you probably get called. During April, with fairly good weather most of the month, I flew 4:41 with an A7 window. This month, I have flown 11 hours.

The company provides a pager. The A7 and A8 windows go senior. If you have to sit reserve, those are good windows to have so that your day-to-day activities aren't disrupted too much. My wife likes the A7 window a lot.

Fly safe!

checking the last bid results, the most junior lineholder has been out on line since november, so that's six months on reserve. yes, his hire date is months before the strike, but that's really not applicable. not too shabby.

don't forget guys way more junior than that gentleman are holding cd lines which can pay pretty good and are certainly more commutable than reserve, imho. also, hotel in domicile.

eleven days off becomes effective july 1, and it's 1 set of 3 and 1 set of 4 "hard" days off, 4 "soft" days.

skiddriver,

Slim answered your questions better than I could.

Anaconda,

I'm stoked to here about the 1 set of 4 and one of 3 thats very good news.

thanx guys.

Miller22,

I guess you do not work for Comair, Your post sounds like you know everything, except, when was the last time we paid for training, where have you been?

Good luck when you do though...

Don't forget 15 minutes to actually answer your pager + the 90 minutes!

Hey Anaconda,
I couldn't resist.

I swear I need to stop replying to posts on here.

I will PM you later with the FMS procedures.

Latest resources

Back