• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Eagle757shark

Boeing to Lead Southwest Airlines 737 Flight Deck Modernization

• Monday December 22, 2008, 11:04 am EST
SEATTLE, Dec. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Boeing (NYSE: BA - News) has been selected by Southwest Airlines as the lead integrator for the airline's 737-300/-700 flight deck upgrade to incorporate advanced performance-based navigation capabilities. Boeing's role will include design, installation and integration of new hardware and software from multiple suppliers, as well as flight testing and certification.
Under this large-scale integration program, the 737-300 airplanes will be modified with new and enhanced avionics supplied by GE Aviation, Honeywell and Rockwell Collins. The Classic 737s will be equipped with GE's large area displays which use the latest in LCD technology and more closely align the 737-300 and 737-700 flight decks, creating commonality, and allowing the 737-300 to operate in the same preferred airspace as the newer 737-700s.
The 737-300 enhancements will also position Southwest for additional features -- currently under development -- that will support future airspace requirements.
Southwest Airlines, an industry leader in airline efficiency, also is making a fleet-wide commitment to Required Navigation Performance (RNP) operations, a navigation technology that enables an aircraft to operate within a tight corridor of airspace with Global Positioning System guidance. These RNP enhancements will help the airline reduce fuel consumption, enhance safety and situational awareness, and minimize aircraft emissions and noise resulting in improved efficiency and reduced costs.
"Southwest is a great airline and partner and we're proud to support in their initiatives toward more efficient operations," said Kevin Schemm, vice president, North America Sales, Boeing Commercial Airplanes. "Boeing is committed to working with our customers to introduce environmentally progressive lifecycle solutions."
"This upgrade program will enhance safety, situational awareness, and fuel efficiency, and it will allow greater training flexibility due to flight deck commonality," said Chuck Magill, vice president of Flight Operations at Southwest Airlines. "But the bottom line is that our customers will benefit from better performance and continued low fares."
As the original equipment manufacturer, Boeing is uniquely qualified to provide the lowest risk solution through its intellectual property, engineering and technical resources, world-class testing and certification capabilities and long term supplier relationships.

Southwest just purchased ATA's certificate. I imagine this flight deck upgrade will allow Southwest to use ATA's ETOPS certification to begin Hawaii routes in the near future. I believe Southwest is getting themselves ready to start overwater flights, the Carribean and Hawaii.

No chance.

They blew their opportunity to have ATA fly international out of MCO and BWI.

"Stupid is as stupid does, Lt. Dan"

No chance.

Soutwest blew their opportunity to have ATA fly international out of MCO and BWI.

"Stupid is as stupid does, LT. Dan."

Southwest just purchased ATA's certificate. I imagine this flight deck upgrade will allow Southwest to use ATA's ETOPS certification to begin Hawaii routes in the near future. I believe Southwest is getting themselves ready to start overwater flights, the Carribean and Hawaii.

...and then monkeys will fly out of my butt.

Yeah, for a "Codeshare Partner" (Outsourcer). You won't see any red-bellied money makers flying outside the lower 48 in this lifetime.

I really hope I am wrong!

VNAV and autothrottles, you guys might join the 80's.

Exactly. After thinking we re-invented the wheel with auto-brakes I can only imagine what a debacle this is going to be. Our FOM will be three volumes. Of course it will only say the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. They'll be patting themselves on the back and playing grab ass at the training center for years to come.

Latest resources

Back