Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Boeing not building extra a/c for best customer?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 787 is the narrowbody of the future. It's lighter, faster, farther with more payload.

I'm not predicting or flame baiting but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see the 787 take Southwest overseas/Hawaii by about 2012. I think our options/orders expire then.

Gup

It's a widebody (twin isle).

American companies are often critized for focusing only on the next quarter, and not paying attention to the long view.

It sounds like someone at Boeing understands that booms are often followed by busts and therefore are in fact taking a long term view of their companies health.

And any salesman will tell you that people want what they can't have.

Boeing has already announced plans to terminate the 737 line. If we can get by on 500 used jets to cover the 48 why wouldn't we look international? That's what I was saying. United bailed their ass out of the deep end with international flying. That's where the lions share of revenue comes from.

It's pretty closed minded to think SWA will not be an international carrier before my generation retires.

Gup

Boeing has already announced plans to terminate the 737 line. If we can get by on 500 used jets to cover the 48 why wouldn't we look international? That's what I was saying. United bailed their ass out of the deep end with international flying. That's where the lions share of revenue comes from.

It's pretty closed minded to think SWA will not be an international carrier before my generation retires.

Gup
I'm pretty sure it will be merged into the other carriers. Which, will happen over Kellher's dead body. Once he kicks off the airline corporate raiders will come in.

Boeing has an opportunity and problem with the technology from the 787 and how it is applied to a 737 replacement. The 737 has been a cash cow for Boeing. That cash is needed. But, when they replace the 737 with an airplane offering 15% to 20% better operating cost the 737 book is going to dry up in favor of the better airplane.

Boeing could be watching out for their best customer.

Would you rather be the first customer for the 2010 model 797, or the last customer for a 1960's design which has been optimized with 1970's engines?

Sorry Fins, but you have it backwards. The 737 line is what pays the bills and keeps a steady employment force. The 747 is the cash cow for Boeing. Followed closely by the other widebodies. All the follow on parts and support is gravy. Keep in mind, most things that break on an airplane are vendor supplied, not manufacture supplied. Think, engines, brakes, avionics, actuators, seats, etc.

Also, in order to maximize efficencies in a new design, you will need to let go of the old ones. You can not keep the architecture the same and put new skin on it. That is what the 737 NG is. The NG would have been a couple of percentage points better if SWA didn't insist on common type ratings and Boeing would have been able to make it a mini 777. But, I respect their choices. Airplane design is all about compromises.

I'm pretty sure it will be merged into the other carriers. Which, will happen over Kellher's dead body. Once he kicks off the airline corporate raiders will come in.

Where do you come up with this stuff? First it's SWA will be bankrupt by 2009, then it's they will be bankrupt in 6 months, and now they will merge with other carriers once Herb's dead. Your so dang theatrical.

Latest resources

Back