Boeing lands record order of €19bn from Emirates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DUBLINFLYER

US aviation giant Boeing has secured the biggest order in its 100-year history after signing a US$26bn (€19bn) deal with Emirates for as many as 70 aircraft.
The deal will extend the Middle East carrier's already dominant fleet.
The deal was signed at the Dubai Air Show yesterday. It includes firm orders for 50 aircraft valued at US$18bn, and the rest as options, Emirates Chairman Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum said.
Deliveries will start in 2015, and the Dubai-based carrier will retire some of its older aircraft, he said.
"We have an ambitious and strategic plan to continue growing our international network and especially increasing our long-haul, non-stop routes," he said.
Emirates is already the largest operator of the 777, which seats about 365 people. It has 94 aircraft in its fleet and an order backlog of another 41. The carrier is also the biggest buyer of the Airbus SAS A380 double-decker jumbo.
The 777 is Boeing's most profitable programme, and the company is increasing monthly production to keep up with demand. Boeing said the deal contributed to the best year yet for the 777, surpassing a record of 154 units ordered in 2005.
"This is an extremely proud moment for us as it not only underscores Emirates' ongoing confidence in the 777 but also makes this the single largest order by dollar value in Boeing's history," said Jim Albaugh, the head of Boeing's commercial-jet subsidiary.

Why can't American airline companies buy Boeing as well - support your countries (world's) leading aircraft manufacturer

Why can't American airline companies buy Boeing as well - support your countries (world's) leading aircraft manufacturer

Boeing could learn a few things from Airbus about aircraft ergonomics. I've flown both and Airbus wins (for me) hands down. When I have to be on the road for 4-5 days at a time I want to be comfortable

Good news for Boeing, bad news for US carriers.

Or...good news for American jobs, bad news for European jobs.

Depends on your perspective.

Hate to admit it but flt deck seats and noise better on Bus than Boeing.

Why Boeing cannot sort out the armchairs is beyond me...that said not complainin'...just sayin'

fv

I have a feeling Emirates (and Dubai in general) is a bubble set to burst eventually... everybody know's it but so far the money train keeps chugging along and everybody's happy!

meanwhile back at the ranch, US carriers are shrinking to RJ's and farming out their flying to foreign carriers..

I have a feeling Emirates (and Dubai in general) is a bubble set to burst eventually... everybody know's it but so far the money train keeps chugging along and everybody's happy!

Dubai's bubble did burst about 3 years ago. As we have seen in the US, going to any airline is a huge crap shoot so if it does happen eventually at Emirates, it will not surprise me.

Dubai's location, the passenger loads, success of new routes all seem to indicate otherwise though. Trans-pacific routes from asia/australia to the US would complete the network from a global standpoint. Our international passengers love the product and are loyal to us.....getting US citizens to try the product and not be afraid of riding on a middle eastern carrier is a different story.

In the premium product arena (business/first class) from IAH to DXB, Emirates charges $18000 for a RT first class ticket and $9000 for a RT business class ticket non-stop while a major US carriers charges around $7000 RT for their combined business/first product on the same city pair but with 1 stop (no first class available....let alone suites). Our premium class is full for the most part.....so, why don't the US carriers take the reins, raise their prices and offer a better premium product. I know Delta is re-doing their interiors to lie flat, but does that include offering a stand alone first class product as well?

...so, why don't the US carriers take the reins, raise their prices and offer a better premium product. I know Delta is re-doing their interiors to lie flat, but does that include offering a stand alone first class product as well?

because unlike over there, here, while they can easily remodel the interior of the plane, they can't easily remodel the flight attendants and customer service experience that foreign carriers have and US carriers don't.

Latest resources

Back