• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
Body part falls from wheel well of plane, lands in backyard

NEW YORK (AP) — A body part apparently fell from the wheel well of a plane coming in for a landing on Tuesday at John F. Kennedy Airport and landed in a suburban backyard, authorities said.
More remains were found on a South African Airways flight after it landed at Kennedy, said Tony Ciavolella, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Jim Peters said a Customs agent meeting the plane, Flight 203, after its landing at Kennedy's terminal three discovered a leg hanging from the left wheel well section.

Police suspect the remains were that of a male stowaway, Ciavolella said. He would not confirm that the incidents at the airport and Long Island were related, saying, "It's still under investigation."

Messages left with South African Airways were not immediately returned.

Police in Nassau County received a call at 10:51 a.m. about a body part found in the backyard of a house in Floral Park. It apparently had hit the roof of a garage and bounced to the ground, said Officer Thomas Blanchard.

Peters said the skies over Floral Park, about 5 miles from the airport, would be about the point where a pilot would routinely start lowering a plane's landing gear in preparation for arrival.

The South African Airways flight had originated in Johannesburg, but made one stop in Dakar, Senegal.

Yeow! We (my FO and I) watched that Springbok land this morning at JFK while we were number one. He (the Airbus, that is...) floated rather majestically out of the low-hanging clouds to land gently on 22L. That we saw that specific flight is a rather macabe coincidence.

Makes one wonder what someone from Dakar was thinking...did he really think he'd survive an umpteen hour flight in a wheel well? I suppose his desire to leave--and not a small measure of ignorance--led to desperate actions.

The flying public wanted cheap tickets. Now they complain because the flights and service suk. I can just hear this guy now;"But I wanted a seat in the pressurized section...(in his best whiny voice.)"
"That's for the paying passengers sir. Now would you like a bag 'o nuts?"
"But what's going to happen when this wheel thingy comes up?"
"You'll probably be squished rather badly, but don't worry, you'll be dead soon after from other causes. Thanks for flying Southwest"

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Never ceases to amaze me when these things happen.

Poor bugger thought he was going to get a free ride to the U.S. Life for him must have been pretty bad to attempt this, or he was incredibly stupid.

I hope, at least, that he didn't suffer too much.
[/font]

KC-10 Driver said:
[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Never ceases to amaze me when these things happen.

Poor bugger thought he was going to get a free ride to the U.S. Life for him must have been pretty bad to attempt this, or he was incredibly stupid.

I hope, at least, that he didn't suffer too much.
[/font]

He probably didn't suffer for long but for the short time that he did suffer, I'm sure he was in excruciating pain. He had a front row seat with an unobstructed view of that gear as it was slowly crushing and dismembering him. That would suck.

Flying Illini said:
He probably didn't suffer for long but for the short time that he did suffer, I'm sure he was in excruciating pain. He had a front row seat with an unobstructed view of that gear as it was slowly crushing and dismembering him. That would suck.

You never know for sure, about the pain.

I was once slightly crushed by an overhead crane that ran on tracks down each side of the building while standing on a ladder two stories up doing electrical work.

I saw it coming at the last second out of the corner of my eye, and yelled "stop". But at that exact second, as it pushed my body into a supporting wall beam, I lost conciousness (spelling?). I went totally limp, and they had to keep the cranes pressure against me, while two workers put up additional ladders to lift me down. I was "out" about 20 mins, and the ambulance had already arrived before I came to.

Luckily, when I yelled stop, the operator noticed, and let go of the forward button. At least now I know, that the body has some built in defenses regarding pain and shock. Just don't know if they'll always kick in though.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back