Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Timebuilder

Entrepreneur
I just enjoyed about twenty minutes of Bob Buck's appearance at the Smithsonian back on 6/4/02.

CSPAN-2 is running this as a part of "Book TV", one of its regular features.

Bob is a former TWA captain, and wrote Weather Flying, among other titles. I think you'd enjoy this if you can catch it.

Just had to chime in here as i'm just in the middle of reading North Star Over My Shoulder. A really good read. Captain Bucks career spanned that amazing period from DC- 2's to the 747, as well as a war or two and some weather research regarding static electricity thrown in to boot.

A personal aside is that he now resides in Vermont, where i grew up. Lake Champlain has some of the best sunsets ANYWHERE!

i saw some of this as well and found his comments on air traffic control interesting. particularly when he talked about how atc was used only in the terminal area. from there the aircraft flew "free flight" to destination. this went on until a United DC-8 and TWA connie collided over the grand canyon. that gave birth to the en-route atc we have today.

Great book!!! Non-pretentious look back at how things used to be. He tells a good story, that's for sure. Anyone know if he signs books sent to him? I bought one for an old student turned pro. pilot and was hoping to add to it a little. Y'all should read it!!!!!

I caught part of the CSPAN rerun of Mr. Buck and enjoyed listening to him. I am looking forward to reading the book. I thought it was interesting when he commented on the reliability of the jet engine saying it was almost 100% in his experience. I wish I had him around when people tell me how dangerous flying is. It amazes me how the media influences people into thinking that aircraft are falling out of the skies hourly!

Night flight

I loved his comment about the NASA study covering 20 minutes naps in the cockpit that the FAA would not allow. He said right now this night all over America pilots are saying "I'm going to rest my eyes" The battle cry of the night air freight business.

Latest resources

Back