Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TonyC

Frederick's Happy Face
That's the story that was running on the local TV news as I was approaching consciousness this morning. I looked up to see video of a helicopter flying over water - - not very informative.

Anybody hear any other details?

The helo was an H-3 from Pensacola HSU (otherwise known as SAR). The crew hoisted the pilot from the water in a litter, and brought him to the hospital. He was cold but ok... and my crew did a great job. Navy SAR.

MUDKOW60:

Good for you and your crew!!!!!!!!
Thanks for taking care of our Angels.
I know that water was not so warm right now, but glad it was home water and not some other place colder as it could have been.

Reports I'm reading say the water was 62 degrees, and he was in the water for about 10 minutes. Nice job with the SAR.

Also, even the most recent reports are saying his name is being withheld pending notification of his family. For crying out loud, how inaccessible can his family be?
Apparently it was #5 or #6, but they won't even release that. Anybody know?

Blue Angels identify downed pilot
From staff reports

Steelman

The Navy Blue Angels have released the name of the pilot who safely ejected into the Gulf of Mexico Wednesday afternoon before the F/A-18 Hornet jet crashed into the water.

Navy Lt. Ted Steelman, 32, from Star, Idaho, was flying an unnumbered Blue Angel jet on a routine, hour-long training mission about 2:45 p.m. Wednesday when the incident occurred. Steelman is the team's opposing solo, and flies the Number Six jet during the demonstration.

Steelman was released from the Pensacola Naval Hospital today and is resting at home. Hours after the crash, Steelman was listed in good condition at the hospital. The $28 million jet is still in the Gulf and is considered a total loss, said Blues spokesman Chief Petty Officer Vic Brabble.

Fellow members of the elite flight demonstration team canceled their practice today, Brabble said. An investigation into the incident has been initiated by the Naval Safety Center, which is the Navy's version of the National Transportation Board.

"The investigation can go from days to weeks to months," Brabble said. "We just don't know how long it will take."

A second Hornet, flown by Lt. Cmdr. Craig Olsen, 35, from Kirkland, Wash., was flying with Steelman approximately 10 miles from Pensacola Naval Air Station when the incident occurred. Olson landed safely at the station after Steelman had been recovered.

Steelman was recovered by an NAS Pensacola search-and-rescue helicopter and was airlifted to the Naval Medical Center.

A Coast Guard buoy tender is patrolling the crash site to pick up floating debris and to keep the area secure for investigators. For safety reasons anyone who may find debris is asked not to handle it. They should report its location to the Pensacola NAS base police at (850) 452-3453. If material is found at sea, they should contact the Coast Guard at (850) 453-8282.

# 6 Splashes

Great to see that everybody has nothing bad to say about what happened, or to speculate into the matter. Back in the day, the pilot would have been pulled from the water, and strapped into the stand-by Jet to continue training.

I know the family and his wife and kids are extreemly fortunate. Than kGod nothing bad happened to him.

Former Blue!

Latest resources

Back